Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ABT Tune 213kW

Yes there's always an element of risk associated with tuning your car. That is why if you're going to do it choose someone that has back-up/support if anything should ever go wrong.

Second thing I'd say for all the 162TSI guys is that your engine has been out in the Mk7 Golf GTI and Gen3 Skoda Octavia RS for quite a few years now already. The only major issue I'm aware of in the MQB platform engines was in the early Golf R/S3 206kW version which was killing turbos. However there's a revised part now that seems to be a lot more reliable and it's not the same engine in the Tiguan anyway (I know we are all wishing there was a Tiguan R).

There's quite a few Mk7 Golf GTI's running tunes without issues. If I had a new Tiguan I'd be waiting for 5,000-10,000km then getting a service with full check over to make sure there's no warranty issues (leaks, etc) then roll the dice and go for it. But yes there is an element of risk that you do have to take on when you do it. As the saying goes gotta pay to play.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Second thing I'd say for all the 162TSI guys is that your engine has been out in the Mk7 Golf GTI and Gen3 Skoda Octavia RS for quite a few years now already. The only major issue I'm aware of in the MQB platform engines was in the early Golf R/S3 206kW version which was killing turbos. However there's a revised part now that seems to be a lot more reliable and it's not the same engine in the Tiguan anyway (I know we are all wishing there was a Tiguan R).
    It's my understanding that the GTI engine and the R engine are mostly the same except for the turbo. I'm also pretty sure that APR offers the IS38 turbo upgrade which pretty much makes it an R engine. There may be subtle differences like fueling etc but teh max power is quoted as 272kw/520Nm for R and 267kw/510Nm for the GTI with IS38 upgrade. The IS38 upgrade is not listed on the Tiguan page so it may not be available, yet or ever. That said, peak torque is pretty much the same with or without teh IS38, the GTI turbo can't can't hold it as high as the R.

I'm planning to drive our Tiguan for 10,000km and then it will no doubt get the tune. The difference on the R/S3 is very real and the Tiguan should be heaps better than the GTI as that's FWD only.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234