Thread: T4 Caravelle

T4 Caravelle

I'm helping my son to buy a car and we are considering a manual TDI Caravelle over a Transporter for the obvious reasons of more comfort,power windows extra seats etc.
    I'm curious to know whether the Caravelle has sound deadening in the side panels and are there any reasons NOT to buy a Caravelle? e.g.extra weight?more complexity im the electrics....

Cheers.

Users Country Flag
    Avoid the automatic ones.

Everything else is fairly straightforward on them though.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

I forgot to ask in my original post about what sort of mileage the diesel engines are good for.I have heard they are a real workhorse but should I avoid any with over 300 thousand km's on the clock or are these still ok if they have a full service history?

Yes I will definitely be avoiding the automatic models!

Quote Originally Posted by tdi View Post
    I'm helping my son to buy a car and we are considering a manual TDI Caravelle over a Transporter for the obvious reasons of more comfort,power windows extra seats etc.
    I'm curious to know whether the Caravelle has sound deadening in the side panels and are there any reasons NOT to buy a Caravelle? e.g.extra weight?more complexity im the electrics....

Cheers.
    Hi - we have had 2.5 TDI Caravelle for several years and could not fault it - good solid motor . But as the previous post said avoid the auto's (ours is about cost me $$$)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As others have said great motor and only buy the manual , I suppose we could ask is your son going to use the van for family ie lots of kids or a recreational use . I also purchased my son a Transporter for his first drive as he was doing lots of Moto Cross and was starting his band so it helped for transporting music gear . The Caravelle would have some degree of sound proofing over a Transporter but it certainly could be improved to make it quieter , also the extra seats and a few other items would add extra weight not sure of exact amount but up to 400kgs heavier than a Transporter . My sons was originally a 2.4 non turbo diesel which we ended up converting via a donor van into a 2.5 petrol powered , huge performance difference .

Just on this topic has anyone converted an auto to a manual? I am looking for a recon auto box or am considering a rebuild but from the info I've got so far it may be costly

Quite a few in the UK have done the conversion on the T4 Forum. I don't know about here in Oz.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Apparently the experts on Auto to manual T4 conversions in OZ are CAMDEN GTI in Sydney.They charge about $5500.00 and use S/H gearboxes and apparently there is a bit of a waiting list.
    They can only do a conversion when they have sourced a good used gearbox.
    They are also sponsors of this website.

Thanks tdi - spoke with Matthew (?) at Camden Gti and yes there is a backlog (2 in front of me) but you were bang on about the price ( but he did say he should charge more for the Caravelle due to the back air con hoses being in the way) either way I'm now in the market for a decent manual box

Or TDI if your young bloke is still in the market ( but is aware that money would need to be spent) mine has 6 months reg, 270 on the clock and apart fro the gearbox has been a dream since we bought it. Price is negotiable ( wife is chewing my ear off to sell whereas I have grand plans to convert into a camper. I'm losing the battle)