Thread: T5 Engine Oil Leak - most likely source?

T5 Engine Oil Leak - most likely source?

My 2009 T5 4motion Diesel Caravelle has an engine oil leak. The mechanic at Brown's Autobahns thinks it is most likely from the gasket where the return oil line attaches the turbo (my interpretation of his explanation). In your view how likely is this? Are there other likely sources at the back of the engine towards the driver's side?
    Thanks JJ.

Users Country Flag
    Ah yes. The turbo bolts directly to the block on these, for oil lubrication and cooling.

The gasket between the two is known to leak over time. Gasket is reasonably-priced, but there's a bit of work involved.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    I had the same problem fixed last week 21/07/17 cost of genuine gasket from VW $30.
    Total cost $605 that include all labor and GST plus also included a big de grease as oil all over the place dropping around 500ml a week.
    Now have a bigger problem the DPF is falling apart now thats what you don't want to happen $4500 what a rip off. Thou there is a mob staring to make after market one's. but not as yet for my model 2008 TD5 transporter 128kw 6 speed manual.
    All mech work done by Huntingdale auto maddington Perth, www.huntingdaleauto.com.au

Good luck Ge from Perth. Must state i am not happy with VW commercial vehicles and would never buy another, just can't handle hard work.

Delete the bloody thing and get the ECU changed to stop error codes , regardless of what I was told about deleting I would get it done if it happens to ours .

Users Country Flag

What caused the DPF to fail?

DPF failure is usually a symptom of another issue.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0