Support VWWC

Thread: Bilstein Touring Black shocks for the 4motion

Users Country Flag

Bilstein Touring Black shocks for the 4motion

Hi all,

I put a new set of Bilstein Touring Black shocks on the 4Motion which has the original springs and they feel way undervalved. Light bumps make them feel firm but anything more then its the opposite.
    Heavy braking sees the nose dive a lot and its not hard to hit the front bump stops when driving off those large/long speed humps.
    Contrary to what i've read I find it hard to believe these shocks to be 10% firmer than the OEM's.....I just can't believe it...

Has anyone experienced these shocks?
    Last edited by Fzs1000n; 23-10-2016 at 08:53 PM.

never heard of them...
    not sure what model my bilsteins are but they ride great over a number of bumps and dips that my stock ones bottom out on.
    is that with stock springs?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Fzs1000n View Post
    Hi all,

Heavy braking sees the nose dive a lot and its not hard to hit the front bump stops when driving off those large/long speed humps.
    Sounds unusual if your hitting the bump stops.

But a quick Google search provides a shared opinion as yours. Way to soft.

Should have bought the HD or sports variant.

I have HD. very good.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I've lost respect for the brand and after a question on the Bilstein Aust website no one has gotten back after a week asking if the part numbers from my shocks are the correct. I gave them all vehicle details VIN etc...

Users Country Flag
    Bilstein are excellent... No offence but i think it was a bad purchase on your behalf. You bought the cheapest shocks they offer by the looks of things.

Understanding BILSTEIN's Product Line

B4 - Touring Class (TC) Shocks & Struts
    Bilstein B4 Touring Class gas pressure shocks and struts are designed to be the economical choice for maintaining the original equipment ride performance while incorporating Bilstein's world-famous durability and precise construction.** (black paint, steel body)

B6 - Comfort (C) Shocks & Struts
    Bilstein B6 Comfort gas pressure shocks and struts are for the driver who wants maximum ride comfort, with the virtual elimination of "bottoming out" and vehicle sway. These shocks generally maintain and, in many cases, enhance a vehcile's original ride qualities while increasing road-handling and overall stability.* (yellow paint, steel body)

B6 - Heavy Duty (HD) Shocks & Struts
    Bilstein B6 Heavy Duty monotube gas pressure shocks and struts are the ideal choice for most vehicles, including full-size sedans, SUVs and trucks. These shocks provide improved handling and stability, without sacrificing ride comfort. They offer super damping ability that makes them ideal for the driver who demands superior performance, while maintaining an exceptional street ride. (yellow paint, steel body)

B8 - Sport (SP) Shocks & Struts
    Bilstein B8 Sport monotube shocks and struts deliver absolute mastery of the road surface for the performance-minded driver. Designed to push a car's suspension to its performance peak, these shocks are specifically suited for use with special lowering springs in combination with anti-sway bars or other suspension upgrades. (yellow paint, steel body)

Last edited by Sirocco20348; 25-10-2016 at 06:30 PM.

Yes point taken however I would expect better from the cheap end of a premium brand.
    I just find it hard to believe the OEM's were that soft. I was never in a 4Motion when it was new but I'm guessing they would not have been considered "mushy".
    I bought a new SSS Pulsar in 2000 and its shocks were firmer than my B4's, they did wear out quickly though (put in KYB adj and they were brilliant).

"""Bilstein B4 Touring Class gas pressure shocks and struts are designed to be the economical choice for maintaining the original equipment ride performance"""
    Last edited by Fzs1000n; 25-10-2016 at 07:32 PM.

Users Country Flag
    How many kms does your car have? Maybe your springs are stuffed aswell?

What are the product codes of the struts you bought?

140k. Fronts are Bilstein 22-145550 (VNE-E555) haven't looked at the rears yet
    Last edited by Fzs1000n; 26-10-2016 at 03:51 PM.

2nd ask to Bilstein asking for part numbers,,,,sent 7pm last night, no answer yet - bloody hopeless!!!!

info@bilsteinworld.com.au

they should put the word no in-front of their email address

Users Country Flag

Mate it's all online..

Parts catalogue