Thread: 1.2L TSI CBZB Timing Chain DIY

Users Country Flag

Post 1.2L TSI CBZB Timing Chain DIY

Hey guys and girls,

I've had this annoying timing chain rattle in my 1.2L MK6 Golf (common problem, I'm aware) and I'm trying to decide whether or not to fix it myself or just deal with the noise. The car is out of warranty so I'm not worried about voiding that. But I would also like to sell my car soon, and the noise is particularly loud. So I'm wondering if any of you legends on here have replaced one before? And how difficult was it? The main thing I'm concerned about it messing up the timing while removing the chain.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

About four hours work in it, will need two special tools to lock the cam & crank. But is quite a straight forward job if you are mechanically inclined.
    Volks Handy
    Servicing - Repairs - Diagnostics - Mobile fault scanning/clearing - A/c work
    10 years experience working for Audi/VW/Skoda
    Now in Perth NOR, Western Australia.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Okay thank you! Do you know if those tools are readily available? I don't think they come with the timing chain kits.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Never mind. I found a kit that you can purchase that has everything in it. Thanks again.

I've been searching high and low for a tutorial on this particular job and I can't seem to find anything. So if I have time I might shoot a step by step video of the repair for anyone that is interested.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnicle View Post
    Never mind. I found a kit that you can purchase that has everything in it. Thanks again.

I've been searching high and low for a tutorial on this particular job and I can't seem to find anything. So if I have time I might shoot a step by step video of the repair for anyone that is interested.
    Sounds like a great idea!

Most guys just get hold of the workshop manual. You can get away not removing the sump, however it is a good idea to replace the crank seal + cover bolts.

Remove spark plugs and cam end cap/breather.
    Lock cam up + crank.
    Remove all covers + balancer
    Remove tensioner + guides
    Crack off cam sprocket(use a counter hold tool so you dont damage the lock)
    Replace all parts and reassemble.

Hardest part of the job will be cleaning the upper surface for where the lower timing cover bolts up.
    Volks Handy
    Servicing - Repairs - Diagnostics - Mobile fault scanning/clearing - A/c work
    10 years experience working for Audi/VW/Skoda
    Now in Perth NOR, Western Australia.