Thread: 2010 GTI Noise when braking at low speeds + Service Now! message?!?!

Users Country Flag

2010 GTI Noise when braking at low speeds + Service Now! message?!?!

Got my new gti recently and have started to realise quite a loud grinding/moaning noise when braking or coming off the brakes at low speeds (e.g. when reversing or slowly moving forward (parking))

What could this be? should i get it looked at?

Also the car keeps telling me to Service Now when i turn it on however the dealer (AHG) said they had serviced it before selling and done 100 point check etc...

apart from this, I am loving my new car

Grinding while moving can be related to pads. the 'Service Now" message maybe that the ECU wasn't reset from the service. What I'd do.

1. Check your console. I don't have my car here, but if you go through the service menu on the ECU (using steering wheel controls) there is a page that will display how many days and km to next service. If that reads something like 330 days and 14,000km then you know that it was reset and the 'Service Now' notification isn't relating to time between general services. Therefore it could be;
    2. brake pad wear sensors have been tripped. My previous car (2001 Audi) had sensors built into the pad. Our GTIs? not sure. Some pads have a metal tag on them that emit a noise to indicate low pad. In the case of a sensor, once a brake pad wears down to a set limit, the sensor is tripped within the pad that lets the ECU know that the pad is thin. This in turn would display a message on the console. Perhaps your "Service now" message relates to that.

It's easy to check brake pads while the wheels are in situ. Look for around 10mm at the front (minimum) between the braking surface and the brake pad backing plate. and anywhere 5-7mm on the rears. This is a general guide and certainly not advice on driving on or not.
    Last edited by minke; 07-07-2015 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Grammar and spelling.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Contacted my dealer and he is organizing for someone to check it has been properly serviced and turn off the service now message.

Will get them to look at the cause of the noise while I'm there