Thread: T5.2 LED DRL (daytime lights) retrofitted

Users Country Flag

Lightbulb T5.2 LED DRL (daytime lights) retrofitted

Hi VW van fans,

I just installed these LED DRL's on the Multivan, it's almost a simple "clip on" job except wiring and minor cutting of some plastic on the bumper (not visible / behind the light panels). I got the version with 'discrete' LED dots in the bar, but there is also a newer more expensive "light guide" version too.

Allegedly VW has OEM parts just like these (these are aftermarket ones molded after the VW originals as a template the seller says), cost was $450 for the kit + around $80 for spray painting (professional 2 pack paint).

The paint is not 100% match if you look closely - painter said would need to paint bumper and blend for a perfect match which would have been $350. I can't tell from more than one metre so I'm happy: it's a van, not a show car

I got switched positive power from the fusebox under the battery - actually I accidentally connected into the fuel pump/fans aux power circuits (Klemme 87 rather than 15) and as an added bonus the lights come on when the car is unlocked, any doors are opened, and they stay on for 5 mins after engine stops running.

T5.2 LED DRL (daytime lights) retrofitted-drl2-jpg

T5.2 LED DRL (daytime lights) retrofitted-drl1-jpg

T5.2 LED DRL (daytime lights) retrofitted-drl3-jpg

T5.2 LED DRL (daytime lights) retrofitted-drl4-jpg
    - 2011 Multivan T5.2 - 2,0L 135kW BiTDI. Mod info here
    - 2008 Tiguan 5N 103TDI 4MOTION. Mods: RNS510 | Colour MFD | MFSW | LED tail lights | Mirror LED | Footwell LED

Pretty cool looks so good , nice to see alternative parts other than the expensive VW ones .

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Thanks mate! I saw the VW OEM DRL parts on eBay as well (from the UK) they were AU$900+ before painting. This was under $550 all in (could be cheaper depending on paint -> I was told about a place that sells OEM colour-matched rattle cans for $25 on the spot)

Here they are on my car, they are a lot brighter in real life

T5.2 LED DRL (daytime lights) retrofitted-mirrors_up-jpg
    Last edited by YellowLemon; 01-11-2015 at 10:56 PM.
    - 2011 Multivan T5.2 - 2,0L 135kW BiTDI. Mod info here
    - 2008 Tiguan 5N 103TDI 4MOTION. Mods: RNS510 | Colour MFD | MFSW | LED tail lights | Mirror LED | Footwell LED