Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The new Scout vs the old Scout a connundrum

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Quality tuning box is the way to go on a diesel. Something like a DTUK unit.

Gerrycan. my TSI has a bluefin. It uses less fuel under like-for-like driving as un-tuned. The onboard readout is spot-on (actually it's usually about 0.1 MORE) than the actual usage. I did tweak mine via VCDS though.
    I agree that there are a lot of good things said about DTUKs on diesels but I am pretty sure I have also read about corrupted fuel readouts requiring VCDS tweaking (as you did) to re-establish status quo.

I am impressed your Bluefin has given improved power AND economy, bonus.. but still really only for those primarily interested in the performance aspect.
    I saw some BMEP figures recently that the suggested the 1.8tsi was at a relatively low state of tune compared to say my 1.4tsi, from memory (254 psi against 328 psi) so perhaps the improved economy is not so surprising.

Actually my OEM fuel readouts have similarly pessimistic (but remarkably accurate really) at 0.1 l/100 compared to Fuelly recorded usage but I expect that to equalise as my tyres wear.
    My conservative nature makes me wary of computer claims until confirmed as reasonably accurate.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrycan View Post
    I am impressed your Bluefin has given improved power AND economy, bonus.. but still really only for those primarily interested in the performance aspect.
    I did say like-for-like driving. If you get up it then you can't bend the laws of combustion / physics / chemistry - you still need X amount of fuel to make X amount of power (more or less).
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

I've got a Bluefin in my 2008 (PD diesel) Octavia and it uses slightly more fuel. I've tried to get it lower, but it just won't. It's less than half a litre per 100 km's, so no big deal.

BTW, I found a new DPF for my car on eBay for $750 delivered, but after 7 years and 110,000 km mine is nowhere needing replacing (mostly country road driving though).
    Last edited by wfdTamar; 13-05-2015 at 04:54 PM.
    2008 Skoda Octavia Elegance TDI 4x4 wagon
    Bluefin 132Kw/385Nm, Racechips Response Control, Haldex Performance controller, H&R anti roll bars, Koni FSD shocks, SuperPro control arms & ball joints, subframe & gearshift mods, Full Dynamat interior, Polk Audio sound, Columbus, Bluetooth, MDI, parking sensors, camera. BBS SR 18x8" w/ 225/40xR18. 3M Crystalline tint.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123