Thread: How to change radiator fluid/coolant in T5?

How to change radiator fluid/coolant in T5?

Sorry I searched but found nothing but coolant specs and qty. How do I get fluid out and in and do I need to bleed it?

Users Country Flag
    Coolant needs to be G12+ compliant, and pink in colour. Penrite's version is the most readily-available.

To drain it, you will need to remove the undertray if it has one, and pull the bottom radiator hose off, on the driver's side.

To fill and bleed it, fill it up with the required amount of coolant and water, and run it until it gets to normal operating temperature, around 90deg, while ensuring the expansion bottle remains full. Once it's up to temperature, put the cap on, switch it off, and let it sit for a while. It'll purge the air out on its own.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Thanks so much.
    Do I need to warm it before draining?

Users Country Flag
    No, I wouldn't recommend it.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    I did the above mentioned, and only had about 2L come out. I asked a VW mechanic, and he said you need to take the thermostat off to release the air lock... Let me know how you go.

Users Country Flag
    Also, the clamp holding the bottom radiator hose on was an absolute *itch to get off. I replaced it with a SS tridon hose clamp when I put it back on.

Users Country Flag
    They have quick-release couplings on the radiator itself, which can be released with a flat-blade screwdriver.

You can also dump it via the temp sensor on the passenger's side, but it's a little messy, as the coolant hits the subframe and a few other things on the way down, and goes everywhere.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    You can also dump it via the temp sensor on the passenger's side, but it's a little messy, as the coolant hits the subframe and a few other things on the way down, and goes everywhere.
    Recently drained my coolant via this method. After draining it I found that I was only getting around 3L coming out of the system, so I ran the engine for 5-10sec. which seemed to break an air lock somewhere and dump another 2L out - still not the full 7L. So I've done about five flushes on it (to be sure sure) and also let it sit overnight, making sure the front passenger corner of the van is pointed down hill to aid draining.

The coolant in my van was questionable and looked like water, and the service history is unknown, hence my OCD in getting the system properly flushed out. I also took the opportunity to give the expansion tank a good clean out using three cycles of degreaser, then brake cleaner and then soap/water. Doesn't look like a crisp white new one, but is pretty close!
    Last edited by coxy321; 26-03-2021 at 07:39 AM.
    2009 T5 4Motion