Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Passat R36 Brake Pedal Height - Can it be changed

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wai View Post
    The relativity of brake and throttle height is set so that on "bottoming" out of the brake, it is no lower than a throttle where you have lifted off, and preferably a little higher. This is to stop accidental throttle activation with the brake.
    Audi 5000 springs to mind.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    This thread started off well but was side-tracked into a debate about the merits or otherwise of left foot braking. Returning to the content of the original post, Elmura made two points about the R36 brakes - (1) pedal height, and (2) a touchy pedal.

I have no issue with the pedal height but I agree that the pedal is touchy. I also have a tendency to unintentionally throw passengers forward in their seats. For me this possibly comes from too many years driving a car that required enormous force on the brake pedal. One of my first impressions of my V6 Passat was the brakes seemed overly 'assisted'. I'm not sure what sort of 'power assistance' is used, but I'm wondering if it's possible to reduce this?
    2007 Passat B6 3.2 litre V6 4Motion | Granite Grey | standard 17" Solitude wheels | tow bar
    Mods: R36 steering wheel | HP DQ250 DSG tune | HPA Haldex performance controller | Koni sports yellow shocks | Eibach springs | H&R sway bars | Whiteline ALK | Kufatec E-MFA add on | Garage door button | Warning triangle retrofit | Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003s

Users Country Flag
    When I first drove a VW I found the pedal touchy also but I just got used to it. All the VW models are similar first the Golf then the Polo and now the Passat.

It may well be illegal to play with the brake system on any car, would certainly pay to find out before doing anything.

Biggest fright I ever got was in a Bedford bus which were famous for having to stand on the pedal for it to stop.

First time I drove it gave them a real normal bash and nearly broke my ribs on the steering wheel.

The boss laughed Oh forgot to tell you it has a Commer front end. Lesson learned, Dab them first time LOL
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 05-04-2015 at 09:20 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by 3C4M Guy View Post
    This thread started off well but was side-tracked into a debate about the merits or otherwise of left foot braking. Returning to the content of the original post, Elmura made two points about the R36 brakes - (1) pedal height, and (2) a touchy pedal.

I have no issue with the pedal height but I agree that the pedal is touchy. I also have a tendency to unintentionally throw passengers forward in their seats. For me this possibly comes from too many years driving a car that required enormous force on the brake pedal. One of my first impressions of my V6 Passat was the brakes seemed overly 'assisted'. I'm not sure what sort of 'power assistance' is used, but I'm wondering if it's possible to reduce this?
    As mentioned early on in the thread, try a different pad, such as the brand mentioned when it's time to replace them, and see how you go.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I ended up making a custom solution that fixed both issues. I unscrewed the accelerator pedal and the nearby carpet hold down screws. I cut a piece of MDF (from am old shelf) and forced it behind the pedal base but under the carpet.
    I routed the cable and fitted a longer screw (cut to the length needed) and refit the carpet screws.
    You can't see the mod at all! It's hidden.
    This brings the top half of the pedal in alignment with the brake pedal. I adjusted seat back a few cm and steering wheel to match. Test drove over a few days and it's AWESOME...
    Interestingly, it reduced my jerky braking as well. I think it's because both pedals are same height which makes pedal modulation easier. ie. You're making small movements to move your foot from one pedal to the other.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by 3C4M Guy View Post

Different pads or rotors can alter the level of initial bite of the pads. Talk to GLS rally sport.

They also get less touchy as the pads wear & the rotors get a lip on them.

Brake Assist sensitivity can be adjusted with VCDS but keep in mind this will also reduce the level of intervention of a secondary safety system.

I think above all, have a look at braking technique. Use the ball of your foot (or even the toes) and pivot the ankle rather than the hip/knee. Small feet are no excuse (see OPs post) - I'm a 7.5EEE (yes, my foot looks like it should belong to a Hobbit).

As a slightly left field idea it might also be worthwhile to flush the brake fluid with a Dot4 fluid (such as Pentosin) that meets the VW low viscosity specification (most don't). This will get the rears coming on earlier & reduce apparent nose dive which will make the braking appear less harsh.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12