Thread: How to access B7's horn?

Users Country Flag

How to access B7's horn?

As the title says guys.. Could I get some info on how to access the horn/s in the B7 Passat TDI.

I ordered a louder compact air horn and want to swap them over. I should be able to use the standard wiring harness and fuse etc, won't know until I begin the surgery.

I been trying to find diagrams online etc.. no luck with the B7 Passat.

Thanks in advance!
    MY11 B7 Passat 125TDi Highline
    Pearl Mocca Anthracite | Electric and Heated Leather | Folding Mirrors | Sunroof | Adaptive Lighting Package | Footwell Lighting | Park Assist 2 | Lane Assist | RNS510 | R36 Pedals | Scirocco MFSW | Front Lip | 20" Suzuka Wheels | H&R Springs | De-Badged | VCDS Mods | Alpine Mono and 8" Subwoofer

Users Country Flag
    I'm no expert, but I know that on my B6 R36, the horn is located on the drivers side right behind the side bumper grill underneath the blinker unit, so I presume that the B7's horn position is there as well. Try pulling out the DRL/Fog light grill on the drivers side and see if you can see it there. The DSG cooler is on the passenger side on mine. I would think the B7's are the same.
    Shouldn't be too hard to have a look. Should only be a couple of screws. Sorry I couldn't be anymore help as I don't have a B7!
    2013 Touareg V8TDi - Black, LED Interior Mods, LED Projector "VW" Door Courtesy Lights, 20" VW Mountain Rims with A/T Tyres, Pioneer SX Roof Platform with some 4x4 accessories and a whole lotta torque

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for that, its a lot more information than what I could find!
    I'll probably start as soon as I'm off on xmas break.

I've seen other cars (Audi/Skoda etc) where the front bar needs to be removed in order to access the horn.. I'm not planning on doing that.

Anyone else who knows the B7, feel free to add more info
    Pearl Mocca Anthracite | Electric and Heated Leather | Folding Mirrors | Sunroof | Adaptive Lighting Package | Footwell Lighting | Park Assist 2 | Lane Assist | RNS510 | R36 Pedals | Scirocco MFSW | Front Lip | 20" Suzuka Wheels | H&R Springs | De-Badged | VCDS Mods | Alpine Mono and 8" Subwoofer

Users Country Flag
    The horn is behind the bumper. ELSA says to remove noise insulation (which would appear to be the under tray and the small guard liner/bumper liners if required), release wiring connector, unscrew bolt and remove horn. Thats it. It says the precedure is the same for both horns on both sides.
    2008 Passat Wagon - 125 TDI - Black on Black - All stock, for now!

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Would you be able to post an image of the diagram?

I found another post in the forum about foglight replacement which has a photo where the horn is visible (without removing the nose insulation.

B7 fog light upgrade

Would you know if I would need to disconnect the other horn if I am only changing one?

The horn I bought