Thread: Golf R Bi-Xenon "Cornering light (AFS) failure"

Golf R Bi-Xenon "Cornering light (AFS) failure"

Hi everyone. I have been a long time reader of this forum but haven't posted until now.

I recently had an AFS Failure fault and Light on dash with chime on every start up on my 2010 Golf R.

Head Lights came on but the RH one would not do the startup (up down left right dance.)

After going to VW (Out of warranty) and being quoted close to $2000 for a fix - (They just were planning on replacing the entire light, ballast and AFS module) I did a bit of research including VCDS diagnosis and this all pointed to a faulty AFS module.

VW Australia quoted about $500 for this part but I sourced one on EBAY from Lithuania of all places for $139AU delivered and it turned up in 10 days.

I fitted it today and recoded with the VCDS and all is good.

The module is made by Hella and seems to be generic for many Audi and VW modules. It bolts onto the bottom of the headlight assembly. Removal of the light is a bit fiddly as the bumper needs to be dropped but still didn't take more than an hour to do.

This website is helpful for manuals and diagrams that can be printed out Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > Golf Mk6 > Vehicle electrics > Electrical system > Lights, lamps, switches outside > Headlights with gas discharge bulbs and cornering lights > Assembly overview »Golf R«

This is the part on EBAY VW Audi Skoda 7L6 941 329 B 7L6941329B AFS Headlight Ballast A6 RS6 A8 S8 Golf | eBay

There are a few other sellers for cheaper too on eBay, but I had success with this one.

I hope this helps someone else as there isn't much info on the net about this annoying fault.

Very helpful post - thanks klokan747!
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Users Country Flag
    After a bit of help from a VW guru. I just picked up my car from the smash repairs where they had replaced the headlights. Went for a drive tonight and realised the motorised headlights are not working. The headlights themselves are switching on, but they don't do the dance, they shine pretty much straight down to the road in front only giving me about 3-4 metres visibility, and no warning lights or MDF error on the dash.

Where should I start looking? if it's not a 5 minute fix like a fuse or something simple I will take it back to the repairer, but if it's just something simple I will do it myself as it's not worth the hassle of driving there during business hours.

Thanks in advance guys.
    His: F22 BMW M240i Coupe Hers: F56 Mini Cooper S JCW
    Previous:
    His:MY16 Scirocco R DSG - HP Stage 1, Racingline springs, RamAir CAI, MY11 Golf GTI Adidas DSG, APR st1, Carbonio Stage 1+2 intake, S2TPP shifters Hers: MY16 Polo GTI DSG, MY12 VW Up! 3 door manual

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobes_WIR35 View Post
    After a bit of help from a VW guru. I just picked up my car from the smash repairs where they had replaced the headlights. Went for a drive tonight and realised the motorised headlights are not working. The headlights themselves are switching on, but they don't do the dance, they shine pretty much straight down to the road in front only giving me about 3-4 metres visibility, and no warning lights or MDF error on the dash.

Where should I start looking? if it's not a 5 minute fix like a fuse or something simple I will take it back to the repairer, but if it's just something simple I will do it myself as it's not worth the hassle of driving there during business hours.

Thanks in advance guys.
    it can be anything (hardware or software / coding or both). 1st thing to do is run a vagcom / vcds scan to narrow down the cause(s).

Users Country Flag
    Just took it for another drive, seems all good. Maybe just needed a reset...

Users Country Flag
    Turns out my battery was completely buggered. Sitting in the smash repairs shop for 6 weeks wasn't good for it. I had it on charge all day and still only read 11 volts...

On another note, I noticed that my left side headlight was really dim. Just got around to having a look at it, the peanuts hadn't fitted the xenon lamp in properly and it was just swinging in the breeze.

So I get a car back with headlights that don't work properly and a knackered battery - just great!
    His: F22 BMW M240i Coupe Hers: F56 Mini Cooper S JCW
    Previous:
    His:MY16 Scirocco R DSG - HP Stage 1, Racingline springs, RamAir CAI, MY11 Golf GTI Adidas DSG, APR st1, Carbonio Stage 1+2 intake, S2TPP shifters Hers: MY16 Polo GTI DSG, MY12 VW Up! 3 door manual

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by klokan747 View Post
    Hi everyone. I have been a long time reader of this forum but haven't posted until now.

I recently had an AFS Failure fault and Light on dash with chime on every start up on my 2010 Golf R.

Head Lights came on but the RH one would not do the startup (up down left right dance.)

After going to VW (Out of warranty) and being quoted close to $2000 for a fix - (They just were planning on replacing the entire light, ballast and AFS module) I did a bit of research including VCDS diagnosis and this all pointed to a faulty AFS module.

VW Australia quoted about $500 for this part but I sourced one on EBAY from Lithuania of all places for $139AU delivered and it turned up in 10 days.

I fitted it today and recoded with the VCDS and all is good.

The module is made by Hella and seems to be generic for many Audi and VW modules. It bolts onto the bottom of the headlight assembly. Removal of the light is a bit fiddly as the bumper needs to be dropped but still didn't take more than an hour to do.

This website is helpful for manuals and diagrams that can be printed out Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > Golf Mk6 > Vehicle electrics > Electrical system > Lights, lamps, switches outside > Headlights with gas discharge bulbs and cornering lights > Assembly overview »Golf R«

This is the part on EBAY VW Audi Skoda 7L6 941 329 B 7L6941329B AFS Headlight Ballast A6 RS6 A8 S8 Golf | eBay

There are a few other sellers for cheaper too on eBay, but I had success with this one.

I hope this helps someone else as there isn't much info on the net about this annoying fault.
    This really helped mate, just got the warning light today. Geez another reason to buy a new car...lol
    GOLF GTI MY11 ADIDAS Candy White, Sunroof
    GOLF GTI 40th ED, White with Sunroof