Thread: Knock in front left

Knock in front left

Hi, I'm seeking any input as to the knocking I'm experiencing from the front left side of the car. The knocking is most noticable when going slow in 1st n 2nd gear with steering input to the right. Happens on flat and bumpy surfaces, though only with steering input. It isn't a consistent knock like a cv joint and can usually be replicated when sitting still and adding steering input. It's most obvious after driving for a while, i.e when the car is cold, it's not noticable.

I thought it was the left strut top, so have replaced the top and bearings, but is still there. I was thinking sway bar mounts or links but can't replicate any knocking or play when the car is jacked up. Having the car jacked up, I've tried shaking the wheels, no play forwards or backwards or from left to right. I could only replicate knocking when rotating the wheels as per the video attachment. I thought this level of play was normal as is the knock for this level of play.
    Drive shaft knock - VW polo gti 9n3 - YouTube

There's no whirring, so had ruled out wheel bearings. Any other thoughts or places to check before I find a mechanic?

Thanks.
    This is on the daily car... Can't cop a break on car issues atm.

Users Country Flag
    Have you got Springs or Coilovers in your polo?

Quote Originally Posted by ZantetsukenJ View Post
    Have you got Springs or Coilovers in your polo?
    H&R Springs on bilstein struts.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Users Country Flag

I used to have the same issue in my Honda, which ended up being the springs compressing too much and knocking around on the strut.

On my other Honda I had the same issue but on the left rear, which ended up being the spring floating on the strut.

Check your struts