Page 88 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolfsburg Edition Golf R

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    Has anyone had issues with their infotainment system going black and not playing properly? Or car play stopping playing music from a phone?
    Yep. Al the time. Just had my 2nd service and they updated the software. “Hey Siri” is working again but black screens, reboots and random crashes are more frequent than ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold
    MY14 Tiguan 118TSI - sold (Mazda3 SP25GT in its place)
    MY16 Golf 7R: sold (Caterham Super 7 and Hyundai i30N in its place)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    Has anyone had issues with their infotainment system going black and not playing properly? Or car play stopping playing music from a phone?
    Haven’t had the blank screen but mine isn’t quite right. Goes back to the start of a song half way through playing it for no reason, and the Bluetooth operation can be a bit temperamental. But hey, look on the bright side. We have a Mazda with the ridiculous MDZ or whateve it’s called. That system is a nightmare.
    Looking for:- RS4 B7 Avant.
    Current:- Amarok V6 Sportline; Mazda CX-9 Azami AWD
    Previous - Mk 6 R manual; Mk 7 R manual; Passat 130 TDi Wagon. Mk 7.5 Wolfsburg Wagon.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_R View Post
    Haven’t had the blank screen but mine isn’t quite right. Goes back to the start of a song half way through playing it for no reason, and the Bluetooth operation can be a bit temperamental. But hey, look on the bright side. We have a Mazda with the ridiculous MDZ or whateve it’s called. That system is a nightmare.
    We also have a Mazda3 and their in-house system feels a bit 2010 by comparison to CarPlay - very click heavy to do stuff but their built-in Nav is better than VWs built-in Nav (on my 7R that is).

Ours has been 100% reliable so far (the car is only 1 week old though). The only gripe is audio quality via Bluetooth is dreadful so you have to USB the phone to get good music and there’s no CD player or second SD card slot (2x USB instead).

MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold

Just placed my deposit for a white Wolfsburg hatch with roof that should arrive in March. Last Wolfsburg my dealer was getting in, so I'm lucky I got in when I did.

One thing I learned today that I haven't seen posted here yet is that Dynaudio is a $1,000 option on newly ordered Golf Rs that have a 2018 build date. The first run of those should arrive in May.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizza The Hutt View Post
    One thing I learned today that I haven't seen posted here yet is that Dynaudio is a $1,000 option on newly ordered Golf Rs that have a 2018 build date. The first run of those should arrive in May.
    That’s good news! I will back at the dealer in 6 months for a replacement for my 7R, so I will be looking for the MY19 specs soon enough. Dynaudio is on my target list!

MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold

Users Country Flag
    Great news with the Dynaudio. To those who have it on their Wolfsburgs, is it much of a step up from standard?

I didn't find the audio in my 7 110TSI that bad, but I was coming from a Toyota 86 which wasn't great.

I'm super on the fence between a Golf R and a M140i, but the inclusion of Dynaudio might push me over the edge. May is a long time away though!
    Last edited by WallySimmonds; 17-12-2017 at 07:01 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by WallySimmonds View Post
    I'm super on the fence between a Golf R and a M140i, but the inclusion of Dynaudio might push me over the edge. May is a long time away though!
    Interesting. That’s my decision point at the moment too: New R, switch to M140i or buy a base GTI and a second-hand Caterham 7!

MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold

Users Country Flag
    Yeah, it's a tough one. I really, really liked the sound of the M140i, and torque on tap from the B58 is hard to resist. Downsides are that the looks are....interesting, I'll likely get less of a trade in on my Rline, its about 5-10k more expensive with the options I want, isn't as roomy as the Golf and it's going to be a real hard sell to the Miss as she likes our current Golf and isn't enamoured with the 1 series.

I also am considering keeping the Rline and going for a base ND MX5, but realistically don't think I'd get the use out of it to justify the expense (or so my wife says).

I guess when it comes down to it a lot of people say the Golf R feels a bit clinical, and I can definitely get that. But it does the 'every day' drive so well imo.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by WallySimmonds View Post
    Yeah, it's a tough one. I really, really liked the sound of the M140i, and torque on tap from the B58 is hard to resist. Downsides are that the looks are....interesting, I'll likely get less of a trade in on my Rline, its about 5-10k more expensive with the options I want, isn't as roomy as the Golf and it's going to be a real hard sell to the Miss as she likes our current Golf and isn't enamoured with the 1 series.

I also am considering keeping the Rline and going for a base ND MX5, but realistically don't think I'd get the use out of it to justify the expense (or so my wife says).

I guess when it comes down to it a lot of people say the Golf R feels a bit clinical, and I can definitely get that. But it does the 'every day' drive so well imo.
    Exactly. Every time I have this conversation with my friends (who own Focus RS, WRX, Civic Type R and XR8s) we arrive at the same conclusion: the R is the best 90% every day car on the market but it is a bit dull (which is why I bought a manual R in the first place).

I’ve also now reached the point with my R that the switching between 2WD and 4WD mid corner (and the resulting understeer) is annoying!

My sister actually bought a 1 series (M135 I think) over an R about 6 months ago for these reasons.

MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattlock View Post
    Exactly. Every time I have this conversation with my friends (who own Focus RS, WRX, Civic Type R and XR8s) we arrive at the same conclusion: the R is the best 90% every day car on the market but it is a bit dull (which is why I bought a manual R in the first place).

I’ve also now reached the point with my R that the switching between 2WD and 4WD mid corner (and the resulting understeer) is annoying!

My sister actually bought a 1 series (M135 I think) over an R about 6 months ago for these reasons.

Matlock just curios what tyres does your R have, my experience both the R7 and R7.5 have been with Conti 5Ps also I have a DSG on the R I had JB4 and DSG tune the 7.5 DSG S mode is as good as the 7 DSG S with tune, I've found the R super adjustable, the only time understeer was a problem was going into a corner way to fast, get the balance right and at 9/10ths you can induce oversteer with a slight lifting of the throttle and the R just pivets then power on to exit it's fantastic. Having a JB4 or Stage 1 makes the R even more adjustable and I dare say makes the R the best choice 99% of the time. In native the R can feel dull I suggest because the chassis is so good and yes they have built understeer in but that is at crazy entry speed, get the balance right the R is fantastic.
    2017 MY18 Golf R Wolfsburg | Oryx White | DSG / 2021 MY21 T-Cross Style | S+V Package | Limestone Grey

Page 88 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast