Thread: 2004 T4 Transporter Diesel Auto - Advice needed please

Users Country Flag

2004 T4 Transporter Diesel Auto - Advice needed please

Ok so the story goes.

Just purchased a 2004 T4 Transporter Diesel Auto Campervan. 220k on the clock.

The car has in the last 6 months had a Transmission Recondition 6k repair bill

Now the car arrived today from interstate where my ex went and checked the car out with her step dad and drove it back from NSW. So I drove the car this after afternoon and I am surprised at a few things and I would like to know if this is normal.

1. Van felt quite like a truck and noisey as a diesel. (A lot more noise than the Iveco we tested)
    2. I thought the take off from lights was sluggish and gear changes not as smooth as I expected. A little clunky for my liking.

3. Apart from the above 2 the van drove well and braked well. Cruised nicely at 80-100

Now upon purchasing the vehicle I have since been informed of the known history of the transmission failures.
    In hearing this I found this forum (here) which confirmed my fears with others stories but also made mention to a solution being the Trans Oil Cooler.

So as a prevention as I dont believe I have a problem unless someone tells me otherwise after reading the above points.

I called around today to several mechanics and was quite surprised at the response and unwillingness to help. Especially from so called recommended VW mechanics in Melbourne.

Not only do they not know of this history but were unwilling to quote or be involved in the fitting of an external after market oil cooler as has been recommended by others.

However I have heard back from 2 mechanics

One said that as the Transmission has had a reconditioned one done then he believes the oil cooler will not only be replaced but the updated one would have be installed. Also commented that this model cant be fit with an external oil cooler as it has a top mounted one and only a upgraded top mounted one would be the best option. In his opinion he did say that he thought I was wasting my money as the transmission is reconditioned. He also said that the problem with the original oil coolers was that they corroded and therefore became ineffective, hence why transmissions broke down.

The second one called and said that he could fit an external one but would need the vehicle and once the transmission cooler was off he could then by the adapter fittings to get the job done. He recommended that an external oil cooler was a good idea and to proceed.

2 Different stories from 2 different mechanics.

I read the job list from the actual reconditioned transmission the previous owner had and I cant see anywhere that says a oil cooler was replaced. This is a concern.

So I ask?
    Going by the description above of my drive test is this normal for this vehicle?

And if it is not normal can a external oil cooler be fitted and what can I expect to pay for the supply and fitting of one. Also a recommendation for a trustworthy, not a smiling one hand in my back pocket mechanic to do the job would be greatly appreciated.

Any thoughts??

Users Country Flag
    I have seen an external oil cooler fitted to one.

To be honest, the auto trans in these is a bit of a ticking timebomb. I avoid them too.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Some info on here about coolers for the T4 auto trans [Eurovan in the states].
    VWVortex.com - 2002 EuroVan MV Transmission - Where to buy a rebuilt?
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

We had one fitted to our T5 some years back as the overheating in our climate is a problem [it had already failed and the cooler was part of the rebuild ] , strange thing that after selling cars in Australia for over 50 years VW declared in 2010 that Australia was a "hot climate country " At the same time the new DSG came out and VW suddenly stated that auto fluid should be changed every 60000km and lo and behold the filter previously fitted inside the box was now mysteriously fitted externally . Regardless of what model Van the same principles still would apply , hope you get it sorted soon .

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny43.5 View Post
    We had one fitted to our T5 some years back as the overheating in our climate is a problem [it had already failed and the cooler was part of the rebuild ] , strange thing that after selling cars in Australia for over 50 years VW declared in 2010 that Australia was a "hot climate country " .
    It must be the climate change, warming up the oceans thing.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Update

Well it has been interesting. Now keep in mind that the car was driven from Byron Bay to Melbourne. Now I wasnt there to check under car to see if any oil was leaking so I dont know the exact point.

Took the van in to get its roadworthy for registration transfer. Now being a 2003 T4 Van i expected a couple of things.
    Brake lines cracked
    T-Rod boots worn
    Wiper Blades
    Heater Cable off its mount

But the big one....

Massive oil leak from the transmission
    Turns out the it might be coming from the seal in the oil cooler. Thats great and warranty that this oil cooler has is pretty much useless as its wayyyy back in Narooma.

Anyway looks like the choice has been made for us. Get an external oil cooler fitted and now is the time. Quote a max price of $750 with an exact quote upon closer inspection.

So even though its sounds bad I consider to be lucky as we were very close to another 6k+ spend because of questionable work.

All I can say here is the previous owner who was on her 2nd rebuild in 1 year was never informed of a external cooler solution even though the technician was aware of history for these vehicles and especially this one.

Every time I go to a mechanic I just wonder what the hell I am getting. Too many shiate stories in this world of greed and thats all I have to day on this matter folks.

Any updates?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk