Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Petrol or Diesel Engine VW Tiguan - 140TDI 162TSI?

Quote Originally Posted by Aus_fas View Post
    Mine (140TDI) is still on first tank filled from dealership and my long term is 8.9
    Even I rest the consumption still 8.7. I have a 10km patch on 100km/h every day on a 25 km journey each way. Definitely not happy with consupmtion.
    Not sure why its so bad.

The only reason I bought TDI over TSI was consumption and here I am.
    It's the first tank. I can't remember exactly how mine was with the first tank but I am not sure I'd be too bothered with the results from the first tank alone.

I've had mine for almost 4 months and 3600km.

Having said that, your driving style and traffic conditions definitely matter. I was just stuck in the parking lot that is the inner west Sydney traffic on a Saturday and the car is reporting my usage for this trip at 11.5! Yesterday I did a similar trip, without the traffic, and got 6.5

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Mine (140TDI) is still on first tank filled from dealership and my long term is 8.9
    Even I rest the consumption still 8.7. I have a 10km patch on 100km/h every day on a 25 km journey each way. Definitely not happy with consupmtion.
    Not sure why its so bad.

Just wait until the engine is properly bedded in - typically by 5,000km.

If you're still getting high consumption take it back to the dealer.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Running-in an engine if you live in and drive in Sydney or metro areas can sometimes take more than 15,000kms. I have a 130TDI and took it to QLD and back when it had 7,500kms, spent 2,500kms on highways. On return engine felt much better, more alive and was drinking less. Was getting around 6L average after the trip, now with 19,000 kms can easily bring consumption down to 5,5 litres. Best I ever managed on M5 was avg of 4,9 with light traffic. If you are unlucky and stop on every red-light, that will push consumption up. With a new car, long term takes a while to bring down. Be patient. Where do you fill up? Diesel fuels vary big in Oz. That can play a role too.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    MY15 TIGUAN 130TDI R-LINE - Pepper Grey, Panoramic Sunroof

Users Country Flag
    Not sure why its so bad.

Use BP diesel only. I found that the BP diesel gives the best fuel economy and power. Also, within the first fuel tank, the car would spent a lot of time idling on the spot and moving from spot to spot at the dealership.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Use BP diesel only. I found that the BP diesel gives the best fuel economy and power. Also, within the first fuel tank, the car would spent a lot of time idling on the spot and moving from spot to spot at the dealership.
    The is no BP refinery in SA it is only in WA, unless diesel is shipped from BP Kwinana (WA) I suspect you are buying rebranded diesel from Port Stanvac (SA) which is a Mobil refinery. I am in the industry heer in QLD and this happens all the time!
    2017 Tiguan R Line 162TSI, DAP, White. Upgraded speakers.

Users Country Flag
    I use Caltex Vortex Diesel beccause BP says it is Bio diesel and thought we werent supposed to use bio in VW. I get pretty good figures so wont be changing

Diesel blend with biodiesel | Diesel | Fuels | Products & services | BP Australia
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    I use Caltex Vortex Diesel beccause BP says it is Bio diesel and thought we werent supposed to use bio in VW. I get pretty good figures so wont be changing

Diesel blend with biodiesel | Diesel | Fuels | Products & services | BP Australia
    BP Bulwar here in Brisbane, buy their diesel direct from Caltex via a pipeline under the river. Some of it they blend with an additive to make Biodiesel.... Normal diesel is refined by Caltex and rebranded by BP
    2017 Tiguan R Line 162TSI, DAP, White. Upgraded speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Just wait until the engine is properly bedded in - typically by 5,000km.

If you're still getting high consumption take it back to the dealer.
    Hmm, I rest the counter to make sure that it starts averaging for my trips. Every other trip I have the consumption is 8+.

I am in Canberra and I know the dealership will try to convince me on driving style but my driving style is not that bad. I own another Honda Civic which has manufacturer consumption as 8.2 and I vary between 8.3-8.4 means my driving style is normal.

All I can say is the quality of the fuel could be issue but as I can see people have been getting good mileage whether its BP or Caltex. Since, the consumption difference is not small its significant and that is why I am concerned. Mine consumption touches 20 (on blue circle) when starts from stationary and then comes down.
    Today I did 25-30 km run on 95-110 Km/h while returning from friends place and got 7.9 still not good.

Will the computer diagnostic at the dealership will pick this up ??
    Last edited by Aus_fas; 19-02-2017 at 08:27 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Hmm, I rest the counter to make sure that it starts averaging for my trips. Every other trip I have the consumption is 8+.

I am in Canberra and I know the dealership will try to convince me on driving style but my driving style is not that bad. I own another Honda Civic which has manufacturer consumption as 8.2 and I vary between 8.3-8.4 means my driving style is normal.

All I can say is the quality of the fuel could be issue but as I can see people have been getting good mileage whether its BP or Caltex. Since, the consumption difference is not small its significant and that is why I am concerned. Mine consumption touches 20 (on blue circle) when starts from stationary and then comes down.
    Today I did 25-30 km run on 95-110 Km/h while returning from friends place and got 7.9 still not good.

Will the computer diagnostic at the dealership will pick this up ??
    Just allow more time mate, see what the consumption will be on next fuel tank.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Regdop View Post
    The is no BP refinery in SA it is only in WA, unless diesel is shipped from BP Kwinana (WA) I suspect you are buying rebranded diesel from Port Stanvac (SA) which is a Mobil refinery. I am in the industry heer in QLD and this happens all the time!
    There is no Port Stanvac refinery anymore, closed down years ago...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast