Thread: VW Transporter T5 MY10 Van M 6spd 2.0DT 103kw White. Long wheel base. Standard roof?

Users Country Flag

VW Transporter T5 MY10 Van M 6spd 2.0DT 103kw White. Long wheel base. Standard roof?

Hello All,

Purchased this new (well...a demonstrator...closest to new I've ever had) back in March 2011.
    It's a work vehicle, but once it's finished it's business life I may keep it for personal use, depending on what I think of it by then. So I try to keep that in mind with what I do to it.
    I had some fold back & removeable seats put in but that's as much as I've done with the fitout so far.
    I can work from inside the van, carry my tools and parts to customers, deliver and move stuff and sleep overnight in it from time to time.
    I've been doing all that in the shell but now it's time to spend some money and progress.

I am also now ready for my first replacement set of 16" tyres so am doing that research now.

Unfortunately have had some trials and tribulations with the van already, starting with the dealer, but I'll detail that at another time when I have more time.
    I am also a little concerned from reading these forums that the T5 doesn't sound like an improvement on the T4.
    I deliberately paid more for a VW because all that I had read at that time pointed to it being the best "drivers" van around (certainly when compared to say the Hiace). But I pick up these diesel engine reliability/longetivity questioning posts from time to time which I am not happy about. But I am not sure whether if I knew that 2 years ago, it would have changed my mind or not. I am not fully across all these comments yet.

Anyway, let's see if I can make the time to contribute any useful posts.
    And thanks to all those before me who have contributed such valuable information to this forum.

Users Country Flag
    Ahhhh, but are you happy with the Van?

We have had our T5.1 103kW 2.0L TDI for almost three years now with little or no issues (and almost 75k on the clock). At this point I'm either keeping it or replacing it with a new one of the same (we like it that much).

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Well...I think I am happy with it.
    I would know I was happy if there hadn't been so many issues.
    We've each been through some hard times over the last couple of years so I think we've sort of bonded.
    I do like to have an emotional attachment with my vehicle...and it is my first newborn.
    I do love to drive it...so much like a car...for a van...so from that point of view I find it a magnificent vehicle.
    We've done 56,000km so far...mostly in year 1.
    But first there was the dealer...who I paid the premium to for arranging the fitting of rear windows and seats.
    Well first they put in the wrong rear seat configuration...then I ended up having to deal with their supplier to get it sorted out.
    Then a few weeks later I noticed the roof was rusting - from all the metal fragments that must have landed on the roof while they were installing the rear windows - and the dealer took no responsibility for it - and again I had to battle with the supplier to get the roof fully resprayed which took months (they tried to just cut it out originally).
    The only good news about that (I thought) is soon after I got badly hit by the xmas day hail storm with dents from one end of the vehicle to the other...had to replace the bonnet, windscreen and I thought the roof...but when I got the van back there was a huge number of issues...including some that led to the supplier admitting they didn't replace the roof as they said but just popped the dents...have been back twice with further problems...but gave up arguing after that...even now trims and rubbers still fall off...which I believe was due to the poor repair job. And that was supposedly one of the best repairers in the state.
    Had it back a week and was staying at a friends who suggested I should not leave the van on the street overnight...given my bad luck so far. So I backed into his undercover garage...but for some reason he closed the roller door on the bonnet...which it dented, then got caught under the lip and ripped off the paint on the way back up...and he was supposedly doing me a favour
    Then the dealer sent me a letter saying that a change of policy meant that because the car was a demonstrator that the remainder of the new car warranty no longer applied...even though they had put in writing that it did...meaning I ended up going back to VW to get them to sort the dealer out.
    And to top it all off, with a self inflicted act of stupidity, in the middle of my busiest week of the year moving a couple of factories, I filled it up with unleaded and didn't realise till I was 5km down the road (sadly with 2 cars using 2 different fuels and my careless absent mindedness this was always going to happen one day...but the $1000 in repairs and a hire vehicle helps me remember now
    I am probably missing a few of the lesser issues...but those things have tarnished my feelings toward my van somewhat...although a more positive person might look on them as strengthening our relationship
    Last edited by aSimpleLife; 18-04-2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: grama

And I will be interested to hear your decision on keeping or replacing it.
    And the process you go through to make the decision.
    I'll be at that point in just under 2 years time.
    All the best with it.

Realised this thread isn't under vans...so will restart it there...
    Last edited by aSimpleLife; 27-03-2017 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Realised this thread isn't under vans...so will restart it
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    VW Transporter T5 MY10 Van M 6spd 2.0DT 103kw White. Long wheel base. Standard roof?