Thread: Vw Jetta 2009 - low oil pressure warning light after 30mins -1 hour

Vw Jetta 2009 - low oil pressure warning light after 30mins -1 hour

Hey hey all,

Hoping you guys have some suggestions.
    2009 tsi 147kw Petrol.

recently started intermittently showing low oil pressure warning light, stop engine, check manual.

I checked the oil and it was fine, but as a precaution I done an oil change, changed filter also.
    Went for a drive, was fine dor approx 4 hours then the low pressure message came up.

left the car to cool down for a couple of hours, baby’d it home with no warnings coming up.

following day pulled the oil sensor off the front of the engine under the oil filter, gave it a clean.
    No change.
    It seems once the car is up to temp and been driving for some time then it throws this code up.
    i don’t want to do to much driving like this and kill the engine, but this is my daily and only way to get to work.

Contemplating taking off the sump to check the pickup..
    Thoughts, suggestions, anyone else had a similar thing before?
    Any help is much appreciated! Have a great day!

Users Country Flag
    How many k's on it, and what's the service history like?

Is the motor rattly when the light comes on?
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Hey Umai,

just hit 180ks on it. Service history was good until I got it...
    Ive done approx 80k in one year however. Services it 4 times during the year. Which isn’t great, that’s on me I know.

No rattles, no noises, just the warning comes up and the 3 scary beeps!
    I do drive it pretty easy most of the time, haven’t been pushing it to see if there is a change in performance.

I have only today realised I’ve never changed the spark plugs in the time I’ve owned it.
    Haven’t heard of spark plugs leading to oil pressure related issues tho..?

Just a quick update.

Short version: Ripped the sump off, took the oil pickup off.
    Cleaned them both. Oil pump still looked new, undone the bolts and emptied the oil out only. Didn’t actually remove from the car.

Thoroughly cleaned oil pick up, sump, sump inner plastic lining, including mini diaphragm thing on the plastic liner. Used a small screwdriver to ensure no blockages in return line or anywhere at all in the underneath of the block.
    Re assembled it all, tested.

After first 30 minutes I got the warning come up 1 time. Then disappeared.
    Just got home after almost 11 hours of driving.

At at this stage, I don’t want to jinx anything, but the car didn’t hesitate at all, didn’t throw any codes, didn’t throw up a warning oil pressure after the 1 time.

Ill give it a couple more drives before I come back and post full details.

I have taken a few pics, picked up a few tricks if anyone would like further details let me know.

Cheers - Happy Dubber

This aspect of the vehicle has been resolved. No more oil pressure light.
    It was a bit of a mission to get the sump off, be prepared for this.
    I ended up using a Stanley like blade initially, as far around as you can , took off the drivers side front inner guard off for better access for this reason.
    slowly worked the blade around, gently tapping with a small hammer where needed.
    This then makes enough room to get a paint scrapper type tool in, where you work this around the sump gasket with small taps with a hammer also.
    Slow and tedious process but it worked for me. When you get enough of the gasket loosened the sump will pull off.
    Stilll do need to be careful when pulling it off, I would recommend doing some YouTube research! Definitely helps.
    of anyone has questions at all you know where to find me. Cheers

Thread closed