Support VWWC

Thread: VW Golf 118TSI Noobie Alert!! :)

Users Country Flag

Talking VW Golf 118TSI Noobie Alert!! :)

Hi Everybody!

Just picked up a new Golf 118TSI, the family's first ever VW!
    Its a 2011 manufactured, 2012 compliance model, with OEM bluetooth and rear parking sensors.

We currently have standard RCD 310 in the dash and I'm really looking into putting in a RNS 510, and since it's going to be aftermarket... I'm hoping that I can get it installed by somebody in Brisbane and with warranty. I dont think I want to pay $3500 from the dealer! (hoping for a good price on the unit+install)

I'm also looking into buying a Tiguan/Touareg in the next year or so... so would love to connect with both Golf and VW SUV users out there!

Cheers all!

Users Country Flag
    Welcome mate.
    Hope we can get you out to some of our events.

The RNS510 can be sourced from ebay.com.au (with a worldwide search) for around $1000 landed.
    It is mostly a plug nad play install but you may need someone with a VCDS cable to re-code the system so it will recognise the nav screen in the MFD.

Hope we can also get you into a Tig.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hey team_v!

Thanks for that. Would love to come! Will try my best to make it to some of 'em

If you dont mind me asking you (I was going to post a question on the weekend)... I'm really really new to this stuff and really wary of wanting to stick a knife/phillips head screwdriver (from what I've seen in the pictures and DIY instructions) to my current in-dash unit!!

Off-hand, would you happen to know if:
    a) I can buy a RNS510 (latest I guess) off ebay.com.au as you said and
    b) Get somebody to install *AND* code it in as well for me?
    c) Would this void any warranty or anything like that when I go and get my golf serviced/fixed (for any which reason)?

I understand if you think I should go and post as a separate thread, just wanted to get your opinion if you dont mind

Also... I must add that we have a Honda CRV manual (2011 model) with OEM bluetooth and parking sensors. We love the boot space in this thing, fully capable of carrying weekend/monthly family groceries or whatever we need for a weekend getaway.
    Would a Tig be good alternative (we do really like the size of the Tig!).... or would the Touareg be a better option in case of the above?

Thanks!
    K
    PS: Love those new rims you installed! (deviantart)

Welcome mate

RNS install is very easy. There's a nice gap to slot your knife in to get one edge of the trim up. Just cover the knife or screwdriver with a sloth to help prevent scratches, or buy a nylon trim remover kit from eBay for about $20 which won't leave any scratches.

Warranty won't be an issue. Absolute worst case is that the dealer doesn't fix any upcoming RNS510 faults but I've never read of anything going wrong with them here that couldn't be resolved by members here.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hey Ryan_R
    Thanks for that mate!
    Just might look into that nylon remover kit as you mentioned if I find that getting somebody to install + configure is pricey.

Happen to know anybody who can install and/or config?
    Anybody in particular I can PM? Costs for this?

Cheers!
    K

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_R View Post
    Welcome mate

RNS install is very easy. There's a nice gap to slot your knife in to get one edge of the trim up. Just cover the knife or screwdriver with a sloth to help prevent scratches, or buy a nylon trim remover kit from eBay for about $20 which won't leave any scratches.

Warranty won't be an issue. Absolute worst case is that the dealer doesn't fix any upcoming RNS510 faults but I've never read of anything going wrong with them here that couldn't be resolved by members here.
    This is pretty much what i was going to say.
    I covered a butter knife with a chux rag to stop scratches.

I had mine coded by Harding Performance (from memory)
    It isn't hard to do i just don't have the tools to do it.

The install itself is a 10 minute job at most.

The Tig has treated me well and taken everything i needed it to.
    Currently it is loaded up (rear seats folded down) with a bunch of camping gear for a week away in western queensland.

Otherwise it has taken a lawnmower and a dishwasher with the rear seats down also.

I am not sure how much bigger the boot of the Touareg would be, would have to get some measurements.

If boot space is an issue i would be going witha Scoda Octavia Wagon or Superb/Passat Wagon.

Check for offers or ask in here:
    VCDS Technical Resources

Also if you've got some money left over and want to better utilise the supercharger in your car you might consider a APR Stage 1 software update. Increases power from 118kW to 151 (about the same as a GTI) and torque from 240nm to 320nm (same as 103TDI, more than a GTI (which has 280nm)). 0-100 goes from 8.0 seconds to about 6.8 seconds and you still get better fuel economy. Turns a great car into a car you can't wait to get back into.