Thread: Need advice on T5 desperately!

Users Country Flag

Need advice on T5 desperately!

Hi - hopefully about to purchase a 2006 T5 Multivan 2.5TD Auto but just phoned a mechanic to get a pre inspection and he now has me very concerned - I have always been told the diesel VW very reliable and a great van but he is saying they are having a lot of problems with the Gearbox. turbo and cooling systems amongst other things, nothing much about actual motor but lots of other problems? The one i am looking at has high kms (210ks) and also had the gearbox replaced under warranty by VW but is stating log books etc?

Another mechanic has said that if all the services have been done then it should be fine?

I will be towing a caravan 1500kgs maybe every two months on short trips around Perth and usually do around 400kms a week normal running around

my finances are already stretched by buying the T5 rather than the T4 Caravelle so i really cannot afford expensive repairs, he has really been the first negative person i have talked to about the VWs but now has me wary?

any advice or experience with them would be really really appreciated as i need to jump on this car this week if i am going
    to get it, it is in Adelaide and i will not be able to see it before purchase (hence the pre inspection) and i will get it trucked over and re registered so need to be sure as i can be before buying

thanks in advance

Users Country Flag
    Hi Gypsygirl and welcome to the forum! The list of repair that was done (if any) would be handy to have (know). So, was there much done to it?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

I dont know yet as i cannot physically go there to look, i will be relying on the seller to tell me and the pre inspection to check the receipts etc - waiting for an email!