Thread: New to VW - 9n Polo GTI

Users Country Flag

New to VW - 9n Polo GTI

Hiya - my name is Simon (hence the username), I'm 40 and live in Wodonga on the Vic/NSW border.

I've had Minis since I was a kid, I have a 1970 Cooper S which I use for a lot of low level club competition - lots of motorkhanas, khanacrosses and the occasional sprint. The Cooper was my daily driver for a long time, but regular competition and the way I kept adding power meant it became too unreliable. I do all of my own engine/gearbox/everything else builds so it doesn't cost much, but the frustration of borrowing cars while I worked on it became too painful and I convinced my wife I needed a runabout.

So, for the last 4 years my daily driver has been a '03 Focus 1.8 - it's just about worn out now and I've hunted around for the best value / bang for buck replacement - I happened to be in Melbourne and found a cheap looking '07 Polo GTI on gumtree and made the bloke an offer, he turned me down but a week later changed his mind and I brought it home from Melbourne today.

So I now have a 2007 9n Polo GTI in red... it has a few problems to sort out for roadworthy, and a few more to sort out so I can live with it (owned by a smoker), then maybe it'll get some performance tweaks.

Cheers if you read this far

Simon

I've had a 2006 since 2009. I got it with nearly 40,000k's on it and it was my daily driver up until around 18 months ago. It now has around 165,000k's on it. I have a stage 2 tune including down pipe and exhaust and not much else other than slightly lower aftermarket suspension. I still love driving it. Funnily when I first drove it there was a faint gearbox whine in certain lower gears that reminded me of a Mini that I drove many years ago.
    2001 Bora 4 Motion Sport now used by number two son
    2011 Skoda Octavia Scout now with Underground Performance tune
    2010 Jetta 125 tdi dsg for the misses - Impressed
    2006 Polo GTI - Enhanced by some of Gav's magic - Absolutely loving it

Users Country Flag
    Hi, My name is Gavin. I am a Polo addict.

Welcome to the fold mate!

I did some Mini's as a kid too and my Polo sounds straight cut in 4th....

If you need speed, please ask, I have tuned a lot of Polo's up and down the country. Now based in Melbourne but I can flash the ecu on the bench if I need to.

Gavin

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    Hi, My name is Gavin. I am a Polo addict.

Welcome to the fold mate!

I did some Mini's as a kid too and my Polo sounds straight cut in 4th....

If you need speed, please ask, I have tuned a lot of Polo's up and down the country. Now based in Melbourne but I can flash the ecu on the bench if I need to.

Gavin
    cheers Gavin - I was looking through your offerings when I was looking at Polos in the first place... I can fix and make things, but freeing up cash (IE hiding it from the wife) for mods is my main problem - finding $900 to flash the ECU would be controversial, I'd need to hide a bit each week and save up (sad isn't it...)

If I make a stainless turbo dump and do the SEAT intercooler, but don't flash the ECU, will the car run lean & carry on, or will it sort out how much fuel it needs by itself?

Obviously flashing the ECU will get the best out of it, but does the flash need to happen at the same time as the 'hardware' mods?

Users Country Flag
    It'll run ok for the most part but the drama is that the ecu will see the high flow cat and drop you at cat efficiency code.

Users Country Flag

​gotta love when they call back welcome to the Vdub family.
    15 Golf R MK7
    Manual
    APR Tuned