Thread: another new member...

Users Country Flag

another new member...

Howdy ya'll, as forum rules state, my first post... and forums are usually the best sources of info. So quick lowdown... looking to get into a VW Golf very shortly and weighing up all my options but pretty keen on a coal fired sleeper (TDI). As quick as the GTI's are and a few guys at work have varying forms (mk5 golf, mk6 golf, 6r Polo) realistically it will be the grocery getter and work commuter, besides I've also got a petrol powered fun car in the form of 66' valiant VC V8 powered by MOPAR's finest stroked small block (410ci) and man, does it have some torque... Ive been doing a bit of research as to what is going to be the best buy and have settled on either the mk5 or mk6 2.0 TDI with a 6 speed manual (after hearing about the DSG woes) GTD is out of my price range (purchase budget is 10g) but i can have GTD power for a little outlay in the form of a tune. I've got a tinkering bug in me so have a bad habit of what ever i own usually doesn't stay stock for long. Long term mods would be to upgrade to nice euro style wheels, lower and stiffer suspension, possible cosmetic changes etc... but thats further down the track.
    cheers Dan.

Users Country Flag
    Don't dismiss the humble diesel as a low power option. There's a lot of them modified to give over 300hp and still give 1000 k's per tank and the torque would impress anyone who doesn't already have a 410 powered VC.

Hope your Valigrunt has been fully welded as I still remember seeing one all crumpled up after a small accident. No such thing as occupant safety zone in one of them.

Cheers and welcome to the forum.

Paul

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Hey mate, yeah thats one of the reasons i settled on the diesel after driving my mates MK6 2.0 with a DSG(has had a stage 1 tune). Was very impressed with the amount of low down torque from the get go and the ease of tuning. The val's got torque and its somewhere in the stump pulling vicinity of 530-550ftlbs but the golf feels like it could definitely give it a red hot go... as for occupant safety zones it depends what you hit. haha. The old sheet metal is rock solid but being a very early monocoque she's got a bit of twist when it launches. The big girl only gets driven on weekends and some fridays to work... thanks for the welcome!