Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone install an RNS 510 in 2011 Polo TDI?

Users Country Flag

Exclamation Can anyone install an RNS 510 in 2011 Polo TDI?

Hey all.

Bought my polo about 3 weeks ago and its sweet as! Getting some awesome mileage out of the baby TDI on the HWY, 550km and still had between 1/2 and 3/4 to go

I have bought an RNS 510 (June 2011 Build) with the L.E.D screen and all.

I asked a VW dealer to install it for me and they agreed. A few hours later they called me back and said because I bought it off eBay, VW Germany advised my dealership that they are not to install the RNS 510 in my Polo. I went ape! They say that there have been some thefts (in Germany and Australia) so they could not help me out. They checked my serial and it did not return a "stolen status". Suddenly it becomes my problem that VW has a theft issue?

I want to keep a good relationship with my dealership, but being treated like this is making it difficult to do so.

So anyway, can anyone recommend a place/person that can install my RNS 510 in my Polo and load the AUS maps and program the unit with the car (in other words, the complete package)?

By the way, im not too far from Melbourne CBD

Thanks
    Polo TDi

why would u want to keep a good relationship with someone thats going to rape u with servicing all the time. find a decent independent and they can help u in more ways than a stealership can. plenty in melb, and they can install for u as well
    2011 cw golf gti 3dr man-tint-rear cargo mat-weathershields-bluetooth-mdi-19" oz racing ultra leggera-mcgard lockbolts-boston acoustic pro60se-jl audio xd700/5-jl audio bass tube bb-w060p- titanium exhaust tips-eibach custom pro-kit-OPS-OSIR cf mirror covers and cf front lip-dieselgeek short shifter

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by walbjj View Post
    why would u want to keep a good relationship with someone thats going to rape u with servicing all the time.
    agreed.

Ally at JB HiFi Knox City set all my stuff up.
    Don't know if its far from you.
    He is pretty good.

Users Country Flag
    Check if there is a DIY guide on the internet as well.
    There was one for my car so i did it myself with a $15 tool kit and got someone to vagcom it for me.

Others haven't even needed the Vagcom part to happen.

dimi69, which dealer did you bring it to? Did they say how much they were gonna charge for it (before saying no)?
    MY12 147TSI Jetta DSG | CW | Sports Pack | Sunroof | Driver Electric Seat | RCD510 | Formula 1 Tint | MFSW Paddle Shifters

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yes they quoted me and all...

I just thought that I may aswell keep my vw legit with servicing and all that with my dealer... One incentive was that if I service with my vw dealer, they would add another year warranty. But anyway seems as though there are people/places out there who can help me

Second question is whether you need to program the cars CPU for the RNS to work with buttons etc? And

Does anyone have the Aussie maps?

Users Country Flag
    LOL - DIY ???

get one of this off eBay - I'm sure you're an 'expert' already with your RNS510 purchase...
    INSTALLER PRY TOOL KIT TRIM REMOVAL DOOR CLIP REMOVER | eBay

Then use the tool to safely remove your radio surround trim , unplug your wiring loom from the radio, unplug aerial, find a place to snug the GPS antenna somewhere behind dash (preferably above aircond duct, and not under any dash metal reinforcement) secure gps antenna with some double side tape. connect the RNS510 to existing wiring loom, aerial and your GPS connector, put everything back in...

Oh and your radio is usually held by 4 bolts which require a * shape screwdriver head (torx screw - heaps at local hardware store)

Users Country Flag
    reprogramming only required if you want the navigation direction to also appear in your MFD display on your speedo cluster. if not programmed, the navigational direction will only appear on your RNS510 display - not the end of the world... most of the time I saw the RNS510 display anyway as it is clearer to see where to turn with a map display on screen, especially approaching roundabout with more than 4 exits.. on the MFD, it doesn't show clearly as it's only a simple set of arrow signs available on the screen... trust me.. I ended up flicking back MFD to fuel consumption and see the directions on the RNS510...

Alrighty then... What about Australian Maps for the RNS? Anybody?
    Polo TDi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast