Thread: Born-again newbie

Born-again newbie

UPDATE: Have just bought a MK6 MY13 Gti. More info below.

Hi, my name is ferrisb and I am a VWaholic. It's been 8 years since my last VW.

I previously owned a MKV Gofl GTi, but cashed it in to buy a house. After falling off the wagon, my life lost its meaning and I drifted from terrible cheap car to terrible cheap car. I even spent 12 months driving an automatic Toyota Echo. That was when I knew I had hit rock bottom.

A few years ago I was lucky to find a friend who was also a reformed hot-hatchaholic. He sold me his Megane RS, which gave me the will to live. Now that I am rehabilitated, I am ready to rejoin the VW flock.

If you can find it in your hearts to forgive my sins, I hope to be accepted back into the community.

I am on the lookout for a late-model MKVI (MY13). Unless any of you really want to love thy neighbour and sell me a really cheap MKVII, hehe.

Anyway, hope to be a VW owner once again soon. See you around the forum.

May Golf be with you. Amen.
    Last edited by ferrisb; 12-02-2018 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Added update

Forgot to mention the better half drives a Skoda Superb 162 Wagon, so I guess I am already part of the extended family.....

Proud to announce that I have rejoined the flock.

Bought a manual MK6 Golf Gti (MY13) yesterday.

Flew up to Sydney and drove it down to Melbourne yesterday. Went really well; car looks and drives great.

I plan to be much more active on here now.

Pre-purchase I was toying with the idea of a Stage 1 APR kit, but so far I'm not sure I need it (although more power is rarely about need).

Will post pics once all cleaned up.

One q I do have is upgrading the head unit. I've been reading how you can swap to an RNS510 and get Sat Nav. And I can get a cheap after-market (rear-view mirror) reversing camera installed. Is there a way to get it all in one package? So that I have reverse camera AND gps etc all through the head unit?
    Current: 2012 VW Golf Gti
    Selling: 2008 Renault Megane RS
    Previous: 2007 VW Golf GTi
    Better half: 2016 Skoda Superb 162 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by ferrisb View Post
    Proud to announce that I have rejoined the flock.

Bought a manual MK6 Golf Gti (MY13) yesterday.

Flew up to Sydney and drove it down to Melbourne yesterday. Went really well; car looks and drives great.

I plan to be much more active on here now.

Pre-purchase I was toying with the idea of a Stage 1 APR kit, but so far I'm not sure I need it (although more power is rarely about need).

Will post pics once all cleaned up.

One q I do have is upgrading the head unit. I've been reading how you can swap to an RNS510 and get Sat Nav. And I can get a cheap after-market (rear-view mirror) reversing camera installed. Is there a way to get it all in one package? So that I have reverse camera AND gps etc all through the head unit?
    Nice one @ferrisb ! I too am looking at mucking about with the nav/bt setup. Have nav but no bt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Welcome back mate happy motoring
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

Users Country Flag
    As far as I can work out, its all possible, certainly the OEM setup allows for reversing camera and GPS integration.

However, from memory, the RNS510 doesn't use a standard video signal, it might use RGB (or CrYWhatever the other one is) NTSC instead, so this rules out connecting a cheap camera directly. I think there might be a conversion box that allows you to use a cheaper camera with the RNS510, but it isn't cheap either, although it might negate the need to pick up the reverse light. You'd also need some way to tell the car that it now has a reversing camera (VCDS or similar).

To be honest, I don't think so much of the onboard satellite navigation, particularly not with having to update maps, and the much better performance of something like Google Maps. Of course, if you're out of network coverage its a different argument. The opposite option is to lose the integration and just go aftermarket, there's at least one Android headunit with some sort of CANBus integration, a mate of mine put one in his Amarok but I can't remember the name.

I've often thought about putting a camera in my Skoda, but have learnt to do without it.
    2012 TDi DSG Tiguan
    2011 TDi DSG Octavia Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Nice one @ferrisb ! I too am looking at mucking about with the nav/bt setup. Have nav but no bt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Nurk View Post
    As far as I can work out, its all possible, certainly the OEM setup allows for reversing camera and GPS integration.

However, from memory, the RNS510 doesn't use a standard video signal, it might use RGB (or CrYWhatever the other one is) NTSC instead, so this rules out connecting a cheap camera directly. I think there might be a conversion box that allows you to use a cheaper camera with the RNS510, but it isn't cheap either, although it might negate the need to pick up the reverse light. You'd also need some way to tell the car that it now has a reversing camera (VCDS or similar).

To be honest, I don't think so much of the onboard satellite navigation, particularly not with having to update maps, and the much better performance of something like Google Maps. Of course, if you're out of network coverage its a different argument. The opposite option is to lose the integration and just go aftermarket, there's at least one Android headunit with some sort of CANBus integration, a mate of mine put one in his Amarok but I can't remember the name.

I've often thought about putting a camera in my Skoda, but have learnt to do without it.
    I have decided to go after market. Haven't done a huge amount of research, but so far I am very interested in a couple of Kenwoods.

DMX7017BTS: No inbuilt GPS, but has Apple Car Play/Android Auto so you can use google maps from your phone. Has bluetooth, built in spotify, can connect up to two phones at same time, can make it compatible with your steering wheel controls, can hook up to reversing and dash cam. No CD/DVD, but has two USB slots.

DDX9017DABS: Same as above, but with CD/DVD, DAB+ radio, Air Mirroring and a more responsive screen.

They seem to be pretty good value for what is effectively BT, GPS, reverse cam and more. The links I have pasted are the cheapest prices I can find online.

They are standard 2DIN size, so I think they would fit a Mk6 Golf properly.
    Current: 2012 VW Golf Gti
    Selling: 2008 Renault Megane RS
    Previous: 2007 VW Golf GTi
    Better half: 2016 Skoda Superb 162 Wagon