Hi all, new to this site but in need of some connections and info, started working on dubs at age 8 trained by the old man who was fitter and turner for Hydro here in Tas, training consisted of bucket and kerosene for 2yrs whilst bros dismantled, 45 yrs ago now but cleaning is learning and inspection and more dirt u keep out before cracking bolts the better off you are.
By the time that was over i had progressed to knowing each part on the old beetle intametely and where it lived LOL, none the less it is still a policy i follow even if the kero aint what it used to be and now we have sensors and **** every direction we look, of the good old days where we had fuel spark timing and smiles all round, that feeling we get after engine rebuilds and it fires straight up after first prime,no vag back in the day spent 5 yrs in my miss guided youth working at Automotive Components Limited and finished up in final size boring engine bearings to 8 micron tolerance on 1,5 mm wall section learnt lot of stuff there about bearings and bottom ends.

Have had number of VW's over the years currently drive 2L Generation Golf 04 and currently workn on x's 08 Passat 2l TDI which is given me grief gggrrr changed RPM Crank sensor and decarbonised inlet manifold and EGR valve o replacement car wouldnt start and was still thrown crank sensor code on VAG, so checked reluctor and noticed with bore scope small metal particles cleaned them out with rag in wax degreaser and replaced sensor checked sensor output with multi meter still no go n sensor code, replaced with origional sensor as was implausible intermittent origionally cleared codes and no fault codes aftyer that in engine replaced battery and dismanteled fuel lift pump n checked as well as starter motor and getting 160rpm on crank getting hesitant fire, but will not fire up n run!! Only other fault code coming up is steering angle sensor but suspect thats cause battery disconect and will need to be driven to clear n reset, fuel lift pump 9psi 2.25 litres minute output, have purged pump with vag cycle, any one got any clues? almost sounds like timing is out but that can't be as nothing in that area touched.I think i need to go back to a time of the old beetle LOL and the love job for the X looks like this Thanks if u can help! Lucky im not charging her.