Thread: 2010 VW Golf 1.4 TSI crankshaft positioning sensor fault

Users Country Flag

2010 VW Golf 1.4 TSI crankshaft positioning sensor fault

We have a 2010 Golf 1.4 TSI twincharge which has refused to start. Early indications are that the Crankshaft positioning sensor is reporting a fault. The car has provided almost trouble free motoring since new, except for the usual DSG shudders etc, which was rectified in 2014. Looking for advice and pointing to threads of similar problems.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by SunsetTSI View Post
    We have a 2010 Golf 1.4 TSI twincharge which has refused to start. Early indications are that the Crankshaft positioning sensor is reporting a fault. The car has provided almost trouble free motoring since new, except for the usual DSG shudders etc, which was rectified in 2014. Looking for advice and pointing to threads of similar problems.
    Compression test it - my first port of call with this engine.
    Does it turn over very fast - i.e. starter motor is running faster than normal?

The reason i ask is a crankshaft or camshaft position fault (if that is the error you are getting) is usually indicative of the timing chain either failing or jumping a tooth. If it has failed there will be very low / no compression and it will turn over fast and unfortunately there will be valve/piston damage. If it has just jumped a tooth you might be lucky there is no engine damage.....either way if the fault is indicating a position error (rather than a failure of the sensor) you need to be checking the timing chain & tensioner.
    Last edited by blower; 27-07-2016 at 12:26 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Car was moved to VW dealer on flatbed. Advised by service department that they would only start to diagnose problem if I agreed to pay $860 initially. I agreed to this and then agreed to a further $640 to further strip down engine for examination of pistons etc. Advice was that the timing chain had jumped and valves had impacted pistons. I requested that dealer put in Goodwill claim to VW Australia.
    Car has been always serviced at the diagnosing dealership. Has covered almost 200K, although easy Eastlink freeway driving against traffic flow each day.
    VW Australia have now rejected claim on basis of vehicle being in its '7th year'and Kilometres travelled. Looking for urgent advice on next steps. I have been advised to now contact VW customer care.

Users Country Flag

You will never get a goodwill claim approved with a car thats done 200,000km and 7yrs old.

Im honestly baffled that a 1.4 twincharge engine has done 200,000km without blowing up about 4 times - incredible. No doubt the highway driving has played a large role in this.

As advised by blower above, these engines are notorious for timing chains slipping and also pinging/detonation which eventually puts a hole in one of your pistons....i dare say one of these 2 possible outcomes has happened to you.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler