Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tow bar decision finally made. Yipee!!

Users Country Flag

Tow bar decision finally made. Yipee!!

Finally, finally after two months of procrastination, research and countless phone calls to dealers, comparing OEM to aftermarket tow bars for our new 2013 Tiguan and all the potential hazards of buying either, I decided on a Hayman Reese bar with ECU and rear parking sensor cut out switch which is incorporated into the trailer plug on the tow bar itself. At $970 fitted I feel it was a good choice and around $600 less than what VW distributors quoted me. I am very happy, no cuts to the bumper, neat and unobtrusive right height etc and all set up for LED trailer lights.
    Thanks to this Forum and its members for the information made available and which helped me make my decision.

Knoffie ( Adelaide)

Thanks Knoffie, that's good to know for the future! I almost bought the Hayman Reese 18 months ago to self-move myself from Melbourne back to NSW, but my new employer paid for the move & i haven't needed to tow anything since then anyway...
    Current: MY18 TRANSPORTER CrewVan, Indium Grey
    Previous: MY10 Tiguan 2.0TSI, Silver Leaf, APR StgII tune + many mod's

Users Country Flag
    Knoffe,good job on a decision. Did you consider a HR bar with OEM loom ?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Towbar for our Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by TDIjeff View Post
    Knoffe,good job on a decision. Did you consider a HR bar with OEM loom ?
    No I just made the decision to go with Southern towbars in Adelaide , who said they had done heaps of them and all ok.

Very happy
    Knoffie

Pity really, all that effort and now you don't have all the extra electronic towing aids built into the Tiguan through the use of the correct module. Oh well, you saved a few bucks I guess.
    Derek
    Alexandra
    2022 R-Line Golf Mk8 in Kings Red Metallic
    Previously 3 Tiguans 2008, 2013, 2017

Hayman reese tow bar

Quote Originally Posted by NZTiguan View Post
    Pity really, all that effort and now you don't have all the extra electronic towing aids built into the Tiguan through the use of the correct module. Oh well, you saved a few bucks I guess.
    I am only going to use it to take rubbish to the tip and move the occasional bit of furniture Its a 6x4 trailer I have.
    Do you think that will be ok?
    Knoffie

Quote Originally Posted by knoffie View Post
    I am only going to use it to take rubbish to the tip and move the occasional bit of furniture Its a 6x4 trailer I have.
    Do you think that will be ok?
    Knoffie
    I am sure it will be fine for occasional use. The OEM setup will do things like disabling the reverse sensors when you're backing which stops the annoying beeps.

If you're only going to use it for the odd trip a basic hitch will work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

I think that was a sarcasm facepalm... Hehe.

I would also choose the non ecu talking hitch set-up if still in the market.
    Current: MY18 TRANSPORTER CrewVan, Indium Grey
    Previous: MY10 Tiguan 2.0TSI, Silver Leaf, APR StgII tune + many mod's

hayman Reese tow bar

Quote Originally Posted by MGV View Post
    I think that was a sarcasm facepalm... Hehe.

I would also choose the non ecu talking hitch set-up if still in the market.
    The Hayman Reese tow bar has the parking sensor cut out . it costs a lttle more but I think it will be worth it. It is incorporated in the trailer coupling. As soon as you connect the trailer it trips the cut out switch. I seriously hope I made the right decision.
    I will let you know how it performs.
    Tigger you may remember how nervous I was originally buying the Tiguan..but you helped me over my nerves back then..and I am so happy I bought it now. Hope its the same with this towbar.
    Knoffie

I'm sure it will be fine for what you need and after all the older systems didn't have any of the electronic wizardry and we all towed all sorts of stuff perfectly happily. I was just pointing out that most of us pay a premium to drive the Tiguan in the first place, one of the reasons for that (in my case anyway) is the added safety features that VW electronics provide and one of those very clever electronic safety aids is the towing module. The fact it turns the sensors off is neither here or there though it is nice to have, the main thing is the changes to the ABS and ESP settings so that the trailer can't jacknife, take over the rear of the car, cause instability cornering etc etc. In my case I believe it's worth every cent to have the real deal, same as I wouldn't put a cheap knock off stereo in my Tig or anything else for that matter. So, not trying to dis anybody, just my 2 cents worth and after all it is YOUR Tig.

Cheers
    Derek
    Alexandra
    2022 R-Line Golf Mk8 in Kings Red Metallic
    Previously 3 Tiguans 2008, 2013, 2017

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast