Thread: Torque Values - LCA bush mount bolts and Caliper Carrier bolts

Users Country Flag

Post Torque Values - LCA bush mount bolts and Caliper Carrier bolts

Hi,
    I have new castor bushes (in alloy carriers) for the lower control arms (on trailing side) of my Tig and new disc rotors (and pads) to fit.

I also bought replacement bolts for all the above work. (10 bolts for $73)

I don't have specific info on the torque settings for these bolts in the Tig and it is critical to get it right.

I have seen a Bentley technical page on another forum of a VW with a LCA assembly which appears to be the same design, build and components as the Tig.

It shows a single outboard bolt P.No. N10640301 with a 18mm hex head which mounts the alloy bush holder to the chassis and is noted in the diagram as 70Nm + 1/4 turn (90deg)

There are two inboard bolts P.No. N10560702 with 16mm hex head and they secure the bush holder to the sub-frame and are denoted 50Nm + 1/4 turn (90deg).

My searching has also turned up the following about the caliper carrier bolts. M14 Metric fine M14x1.5x35 with a torque spec of 190Nm - they are described with the same P.No. N90948802 (x 4) as the ones I have which have 21mm hex heads.

Can anyone confirm these as correct torque values for the Tiguan?

Thanks,
    Chris

Is this parts list the one you used?
    Online 2008 Volkswagen Tiguan parts catalog Europe market, part number search, VIN decoder, *** online

I now know the bolts you are referring to.
    I need to go out today, but will repost tonight with the figures you need after my research.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Users Country Flag
    Same hardware is used on the Tiguan, so torque values are the same.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for that link - its a beauty, haven't seen / used it before.
    The parts list of bolts I have is from the VW invoice I received upon purchase but they match all the P.Ns. on the link you supplied.

Very pleased if you can confirm.. certainly appreciate the help.

I will assume any torque spec is for clean & dry application?

Cheers,

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by jets View Post
    Is this parts list the one you used?
    Online 2008 Volkswagen Tiguan parts catalog Europe market, part number search, VIN decoder, *** online

I now know the bolts you are referring to.
    I need to go out today, but will repost tonight with the figures you need after my research.

Thanks UN, without more info I would expect that to be correct but it was printed in 2006 for Golf / Jetta models back then so I'm checking if there is more up to date spec on a 4Motion 2012 Tig which is also several hundred more kgs than a Golf etc.

CJ

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Same hardware is used on the Tiguan, so torque values are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by pistoncranky View Post
    It shows a single outboard bolt P.No. N10640301 with a 18mm hex head which mounts the alloy bush holder to the chassis and is noted in the diagram as 70Nm + 1/4 turn (90deg)

There are two inboard bolts P.No. N10560702 with 16mm hex head and they secure the bush holder to the sub-frame and are denoted 50Nm + 1/4 turn (90deg).
    My searching has also turned up the following about the caliper carrier bolts. M14 Metric fine M14x1.5x35 with a torque spec of 190Nm - they are described with the same P.No. N90948802 (x 4) as the ones I have which have 21mm hex heads.
    The info I have is 70Nm + 180 degree further for the first item. [always renew] M12 x 1.5 x 100. Best check with VW spares for size.
    The second item is 50Nm + 90 degrees further. [always renew] M10 x 70, check with VW.
    Third item is a bit tricky. Elsa Win says that they are ribbed bolt that goes through brg. housing into brake carrier [clean if it to be reused]
    Tighten to 200Nm. Diagram looks a bit different to the one in the link I gave you. VW calls it FN3 type for 316 dia disc.
    Guide pin to brake carrier is 30Nm.
    If you need to remove the brake hose with banjo union & brake bolt into caliper -- 35Nm.
    The info suits my 2009 model Tig. with TDI engine. Different models may have a different brake design as I found when I replaced the rear disc pads on my Mk5 Golf. They were different from the ones on U tube.
    Maybe someone else should chime in to confirm my figures.
    Hope it all goes well.
    Last edited by jets; 09-08-2017 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Incorrect statement re special OE torque wrench
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Thanks Jets, I have R & R'ed one side and torqued it up but not added the extra angle yet. This morning I'll back them off and re-torque then add the turn angle and do the other side. The feel I got during disassembly was like the "arm-strength" needed to torque them up if the extra angle was added - obviously I won't be redoing then after final setting as they are supposed to be single use.

I'll leave the disc job to another time - the pads are actually good as the dealer put them in for N/C and rated the discs as okay (which my info says they're not).

If anyone else knows more about the caliper carrier bolt torque let us know.

Cheers,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by jets View Post
    The info I have is 70Nm + 180 degree further for the first item. [always renew] M12 x 1.5 x 100. Best check with VW spares for size.
    The second item is 50Nm + 90 degrees further. [always renew] M10 x 70, check with VW.
    Third item is a bit tricky. Elsa Win says that they are ribbed bolt that goes through brg. housing into brake carrier [clean if it to be reused]
    Tighten to 200Nm. Diagram looks a bit different to the one in the link I gave you. VW calls it FN3 type for 316 dia disc.
    Guide pin to brake carrier is 30Nm.
    If you need to remove the brake hose with banjo union & brake bolt into caliper -- 35Nm. You would need an open wrench on your torque wrench though.
    The info suits my 2009 model Tig. with TDI engine. Different models may have a different brake design as I found when I replaced the rear disc pads on my Mk5 Golf. They were different from the ones on U tube.
    Maybe someone else should chime in to confirm my figures.
    Hope it all goes well.