Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiguan Trailer Hitch Wiring - Help Needed

Users Country Flag

Tiguan Trailer Hitch Wiring - Help Needed

Hi All,

I'm installing the Genuine Westfalia Trailer hitch wiring loom into my MY13.5 5N Tiguan.
    Im a bit stuck on the fuse box wiring, and exactly what the pictorial instructions are telling me..Some words would have been awesome here!

Ref Step 44
    In My fuse box, location 2 is empty and 14 is occupied.
    Is it telling me to remove the wire from whatever location is occupied and insert it into the black connector (11) on the westfalia harness. Then insert the blue/black wire from that connector into the position the previous wire was removed from?

Next is Fuse locations 39-41 or 40-42, I have the 40-42 configuration, however these locations are occupied..
    does this location matter? Or can I select any 3 vacant locations in the same row?

Lastly what does the reference to WA 921 557321 002 mean?

Any Help would be appreciated!

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    These should be pre-wired from the factory for the genuine VW kit.

When pre-wired, you'd just buy the VW wiring kit, and just use the control module and short rear section of wiring. Then it's a matter of joining two CAN bus wires under the dash, and coding the CANbas gateway to accept the trailer module.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Ahhh, Yep, It is pre-wired...
    The connector was stowed in the body work behind the vehicle jack storage compartment....

That explains why the fuse positions are occupied...

So, given that its pre-wired, it appears that the CANbus wires are also already installed in the brown connector in pin positions 15, 16 & 17..??

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Guys, How do I know which CAN-bus wires need to be joined together under the dash?

Users Country Flag
    Under the Dash R/H side near the kick panel look up and you will see a plug that is wrapped in Foam rubber
    see the y harness in this

09-17 VW Volkswagen Tiguan Trailer Hitch Electrical Installation Kit 5N0055204N | eBay
    Last edited by ian; 13-01-2018 at 04:27 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeSlapper View Post
    Ahhh, Yep, It is pre-wired...
    The connector was stowed in the body work behind the vehicle jack storage compartment....

That explains why the fuse positions are occupied...

So, given that its pre-wired, it appears that the CANbus wires are also already installed in the brown connector in pin positions 15, 16 & 17..??
    Hi,
    I want to do the same to my 11/2012 132kw TSi Tig and have a couple of questions:

1. About the term "pre-wired", does that mean you didn't have to fiddle around with routing a new (power) wire from the rear to the fuse box area to get power for the trailer light as is required by the ECU provided in Hayman Reese install?

2. Was the Genuine VW harness / kit supplied with a round or flat rectangular trailer connector socket?

I'm wanting to get the H/R towbar and hitch mount without the electrics and do the connecting of the VW wiring kit so I get the VW "smarts" (I know that it will also need to be coded) but I don't want to be arsing-about running cables through the cabin and under trims and carpet. (I have found that foam shrouded connector behind the fuse-box).
    Chris

Users Country Flag
    No additional wiring required, besides joining the CANbus wires under the dash. The trailer module plugs into the vehicle's existing wiring in the rear of the car. Then you just run the shorter supplied wiring harness from the module, out to the towbar.

You hard-mount the supplied 13-pin round connector to the towbar, but a 13-pin round/7-pin flat adaptor is supplied in the kit.

Also worth noting that the genuine trailer module is not LED-comaptible on these, so if you've converted your trailer to LEDs for some reason, they won't work correctly, or at all.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    No additional wiring required, besides joining the CANbus wires under the dash. The trailer module plugs into the vehicle's existing wiring in the rear of the car. Then you just run the shorter supplied wiring harness from the module, out to the towbar.

You hard-mount the supplied 13-pin round connector to the towbar, but a 13-pin round/7-pin flat adaptor is supplied in the kit.

Also worth noting that the genuine trailer module is not LED-comaptible on these, so if you've converted your trailer to LEDs for some reason, they won't work correctly, or at all.
    TOP! Thanks. Great to know! I saw pictures of the VW electrics kit and there looked to be a longish loom of wire which made me wonder about the need to thread wires through the cabin (like H/R).
    I'm planning to get a Hayman Reese bar installed without wiring (with a $200 discount because there's no electrics) and then buy the VW electrics kit for ~$400 and fit it up so I should end up with solid towing hardware and the benefits of the VW electrics features. There will be a $200ish premium for the VW wiring kit and I will have to do it myself but I don't have a problem with that.. well, that's the plan!..

Users Country Flag
    There's two harnesses in the VW kit. The longer one gets fed through the interior on cars that aren't pre-wired. The shorter harness you need either way.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    There's two harnesses in the VW kit. The longer one gets fed through the interior on cars that aren't pre-wired. The shorter harness you need either way.
    Good info - thanks.
    I'm pretty sure my 11/2012 is already pre-wired to the rear. Will have a snoop around in the left side cavity to find that connector.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast