Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tiguan Trailer Hitch Wiring - Help Needed

Users Country Flag

You can find the Trailer plug tapped up next to the left hand tail light its only a matter of pluging it in and wire up under the dash .

Users Country Flag
    Hope someone can clue me up on this a bit more.

I have a kit 5N2055204 which is supplied as a control module and two looms of wiring. (plus hardware bits, external round socket, screws, fuses etc.)
    One loom has a 13 pin plug from the trailer connector plug at the towbar end and it connects into one socket of the controle module box. The other loom has a connector which looks significantly like the prewired connector up inside the body behind the jack and tools of my Tig. This is also connecting into the module (box). I'm assuming that because I have a November 2012 built Tig that this loom is redundant and I don't have to chase wires throught the cabin.
    Can anyone confirm that I have the right module to connect into the pre-wired connectors and just use the trailer end loom?
    The concern I have is that I dont have the Y-connector (one end - two tails) described in above posts to fit into the foam covered plug up beside the fuse box.

There seems to be variations of the part number 5N2055204 with another showing 5N2055204N and 5N2055204NA (it seems NA supersedes the N).

Any knowledge on this?

Users Country Flag
    As far as I know, the module works in pre-wired and non pre-wired cars. At least it has whenever I've fitted them.

That Y piece seems to be an add-in for other markets.

Over here, we just splice the wires together with Duraseal connectors.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    As far as I know, the module works in pre-wired and non pre-wired cars. At least it has whenever I've fitted them.

That Y piece seems to be an add-in for other markets.

Over here, we just splice the wires together with Duraseal connectors.
    Thanks for that - I can see these three pairs of can-bus wires with two of them connected together and another unused pair (with a blue plug) next to them. I guess the Y-cable just joins them all in parallel?

Regarding the trailer control module - I have mounted the control module (VW AG 1K0 907 383 F) in the right spot and plugged in the car's pre-wired red 12 way plug which all went well. Its in the VW 5N2055204 kit

I then routed the tail cable loom with the towbar socket on it to the module and plugged it to the other side of the control module and connected the earth leads on the nearby earthing point. all good.

but there is a white plug with three wires coming out of the trailer tail loom right beside the earth leads with nothing to plug into. see pic.
    Tiguan Trailer Hitch Wiring - Help Needed-img_0820-jpg
    The wires are described in the instructions socket pin-out table and I don't know why there is no connection for them
    Colour. Contact No. Function

Yellow 10 Positive charge for battery in trailer (I don't really need this)
    brown/green 11 Earth for contact 10 (as above)
    red/blue 12 control line for trailer detection

I'm not concerned that power isn't available for things like a fridge in a caravan but the control line for trailer detection not being connected makes me uncomfortable. Isn't this required so that stuff like reversing sensors and parking assist will turn off and also turn on the ESP smarts that this VW kit is supposed to have.

As noted by Umai Naa I didn't need to use the other long cable loom (that runs to the front fuse box / control unit) because this is only used on non-wired cars.. but it doesn't have a connector for these wires either.

Maybe the can-bus sorts out trailer detection through the control box so the red/blue wire and pin 12 is redundant.

Umai, does this unit detect the trailer and deactivate / activate the trailer related stuff?

Cheers,
    Chris

Users Country Flag
    Once you've sorted out the CAN wires under the dash, and had the trailer module coded to the CAN gateway, everything should work correctly. There's a microswitch in the 13-pin round connector that's bolted to the towbar, that detirmines if a trailer is hooked up (electrically), and will disable the reak parking sensors, and display a trailer on the radio unit, if it's an RCD or RNS 510.

As for ESP function, I don't believe the ABS module is setup for trailer stablisation in this market.

That white plug, as you've figured out, is for auxilliary power to caravan or trailer accessories.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Once you've sorted out the CAN wires under the dash, and had the trailer module coded to the CAN gateway, everything should work correctly. There's a microswitch in the 13-pin round connector that's bolted to the towbar, that detirmines if a trailer is hooked up (electrically), and will disable the reak parking sensors, and display a trailer on the radio unit, if it's an RCD or RNS 510.

As for ESP function, I don't believe the ABS module is setup for trailer stablisation in this market.

That white plug, as you've figured out, is for auxilliary power to caravan or trailer accessories.
    Thanks Umai, you've been very helpful.

I going to check if the other wiring loom in the box has got the right shaped connectors at the front end to fit the CAN connectors under the dash (they look ok) and cannibalise it to make my own Y cable to connect the trailer CAN line into the main bus. May as well make use of it unless anyone has a need for it but I doubt that. The rest of the wires will get used in other projects.
    C

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hi Guys, sorry for not checking the thread and sharing more info, so heres the follow up.
    I had the Heavy Duty Hayman Reese tower fitted by CarBars from Pakenham/Mornington. Excellent job and would highly recommend them.
    It took about 2.5 hours to install.
    Now, the wiring and coding....I still haven't had it done, and have had a false start or two, with people who think they can do it but can't.
    Am currently waiting to get it into AudVolks in Oakleigh to hopefully wrap it up...

With regard to the 13 pin round plug, i left that and made up a flat 7 pin adapter lead that's attached to the towbar with the 13 pin connection in the boot.

Out of interest, the wiring and module is installed and connected (but not yet coded). If i plug a lighting connector into it, the brake lights and the tail lights work, but indicators do not. A friend of mine did exactly the same installation but on a Toureg with the same result pre coding..
    (I've used the tow bar a couple of times with my Yakima hitch mount Bike carrier which has a home made LEDLight/numberplate bar)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hi Guy's, Im back on the CANbus business...Too many projects on the go at once! I have located the foam covered connector(s) under the dash next to the fuse box, pulled them out and now need to know exactly which ones i join together....

Is it just the two wires that go into the blue plug that get joined?
    Or,
    Do they get added to the adjacent black connector?

If its just connecting the wires from the blue plug I can make a jumper or simply cut the plug off and twist them together in a splice..

Any advice welcome.

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tiguan Trailer Hitch Wiring - Help Needed-canbus1-jpg  

Users Country Flag
    Yeah cut the blue plug off, and splice them into the other wires at the black plugs.

The correct VW procedure is to use red duraseal heat shrink butt connectors, rather than soldering, and definitely not scotch locks.

These are communication wires on Drivetrain CAN, so it's important that the job is done well. Ensure that orange/brown goes to orange/brown, and likewise with orange/green.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag

Yeah cut the blue plug off, and splice them into the other wires at the black plugs.

The correct VW procedure is to use red duraseal heat shrink butt connectors, rather than soldering, and definitely not scotch locks.

These are communication wires on Drivetrain CAN, so it's important that the job is done well. Ensure that orange/brown goes to orange/brown, and likewise with orange/green.
    I did some yoga up under the dashboard and solderered the orange green to the other O/G and same with the orange / brown.. requires a bit of patience and then put on some shrink wrap.

I didn't test it without coding it - I tried coding it using my OBD11 but I couldn't get any results.. very annoying so I took it to VW Village and they plugged in a VAG-Com and asked them to go straight to the Gateway Module (19) and select the Trailer Module (69) and tick the box. Lights all worked... but there is more coding to do because my reverse alarm still squeals when I reverse which it isn't supposed to if it coded properly. Still haven't sorted that yet and I don't know if the fog lamp disable also needs attention.

I get fault codes and a dash light when I plug in LED lamp trailers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast