Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiguan sunroof is leaking into the side passenger footwell

Tiguan sunroof is leaking into the side passenger footwell

My tiguan seems to have this problem. Its an 09 diesel auto. I only noticed that water was leaking into the passenger footwell the other night after it had rained. Initially I thought it was because my wife might not have closed the door properly but after doing more research I've found its definitely a problem with the sunroof drains. Because i've only recently bought this car used, I believe that someone might have worked on this previously because the panel on the side of the glove box has definitely been messed around with. Luckily there is no damage that I can see because the water drains down the left panel left of the footwell onto the flooring and since I have rubber mats and water doesnt stick to the footwell interior, theres no damage.

The problem is definitely somewhere near the left water drain hole in the sunroof because water is actually leaking in the roof, I know this because the cloth around the area around the top of the left pillar is wet.

Also i noticed that there was no drain hoses that I could see when I took the panel off next to the glovebox, is this normal? I would have thought they would drain the water directly from the sunroof through a rubber hose to some outlet instead of letting water run through the insides of the car?

Anyways, since car is still under warranty, will VW fix this? if so do I just contact the number on their website?" Customer Care Centre: 1800 607 822 "

Has anyone else had this problem? is so, what was the resolution? how did VW fix this so this no longer leaks?

This problem is really quite a poor design by VW since you can google this problem since the 90's which is quite dissappointing.

Thanks for your help (again )
    Last edited by hippyhippy; 17-07-2011 at 03:50 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Yes, you even as a second owner you have a 3 years warranty and VW should repair it. Just contact any VW dealer.

Users Country Flag
    there is a drain hole for both sides of the sun roof, it runs down the a pillar and exits just under the wiring which goes to the door, if you open the door, you should be able to see a black grommet near the wiring. I have seen these blocked, its also part of VW service to make sure they're clear.

Users Country Flag
    ...as well as lubricating the sunroof's slides with the correct lubricant.

ive seen this before usualy its the join in the rubber at the top of the drain tube leaking water into the roof. VW will fix this under warrenty. u can see if this is the problem bu removing the grab handle on the offending side and pulling the roof lineing down slightly. u should see water dripping out of the join on the drain tube. hope this helps.

thanks for the help again.. is it possible to just use some kind of super glue so that the drain plug doesnt disconnect ever again? .. i dont want to connect it up only to have it disconnect again.

Is it possible for me to ask vw to pay for dry cleaning of my roof interior where there has been wet patches? There is very slight water stain, not really noticeable unless u really look but noticeable to me.

Users Country Flag
    They should repair it to the same condition as it was before the leak. I'm positive that they will, since it is more business for them and that's why we buy a new car - that warranty which comes with it.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk.

Ok cool. Will report back in a couple of weeks. They are booked out so couldn't bring it in. Driving to snow next week so I'm just gonna put some tape around the sunroof to stop all water getting in. I taped half the edges but water still leaking at front, so guess I gotta tape it all.

Putting tape on it sounds dodgy! Make sure it doesnt ruin the paint!

Water will find its way in even so. be prepared to have it get wet.

I would insist on it getting booked in sooner, and them providing you with a loan car. Take that to the snow instead of risking yours...
    Just a thought...
    2018 Ralyee Green RS wagon. Fully optioned.
    Previous vehicles:2015 Volvo V60 Polestar (my one detour from VW/Skoda!)
    2013 Platin grey RS wagon / 2012 White Polo GTI / 2009 Black 125 Tiguan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast