Support VWWC

Thread: Tiguan issues

Tiguan issues

Hey all!

I bought a tiguan 2 weeks ago, Ive already got some major issues, First I had the EPC and engine light come on within the first day. I then parked up for the night checked back in the morning the ECU issues had reset.

So I drove to work on my way home EPC and engine light appear, with a warning saying engine management fault. I turn it off again for 5 mins on the side of the road and it reset.

So I took a day off went to a euro mechanic to check it out, he flashed to ECU. He had his Ecu tool to read codes, mains error's were ECM. He goes on to check my alternator and tells me the voltage is low, the levels were around 12.8 and peaked at 13.8. Hes telling me the alternator is causing this problem.

(Nothing has appeared after ECU flash/reset) 3 days ago.

SO just trying to find out if the alternator is no good?

Oh and i also have a hole in my rad...

Users Country Flag
    It could just be the pulley on the alternator. These have a clutch mechanism in them that can start to slip over time, causing a drop in charge.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Thank, he did mention it, but he couldnt tell me if it was the pulley or not??

Anyway to test for if it's was pulley?

Im new to VW any where I can find a decent alt and radiator for a decent price?
    Last edited by hegsy; 05-08-2017 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hegsy View Post
    where I can find a decent alt for a decent price?
    If it's the pulley slipping you don't need a complete alternator, just the pulley. Do a search on ebay. I found one for my Golf for from memory $62. It was a Gates brand from an Aust. seller. On the Golf it can be replaced without removing the alternator.
    BTW, from where I am standing I can't tell what engine you have.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Quote Originally Posted by jets View Post
    If it's the pulley slipping you don't need a complete alternator, just the pulley. Do a search on ebay. I found one for my Golf for from memory $62. It was a Gates brand from an Aust. seller. On the Golf it can be replaced without removing the alternator.
    BTW, from where I am standing I can't tell what engine you have.

Cheers, but is there anyway to tell its only the pulley? I have a VW tiguan 2 litre TSI - 2009 model.

Great ill have a look!

Where is the best place to search for a radiator?

Quote Originally Posted by hegsy View Post
    is there anyway to tell its only the pulley?
    Here's the info on checking the pulley, start with that.

Diagnosing and resolving overrunning alternator pulley problems | Gates Europe
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels