Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiguan and Golf Coilovers

Tiguan and Golf Coilovers

Hi all,
    Currently I have a very stock looking 2009 125tsi tig and I would like to change this... with the help of some coilovers

Now since my car only sees the black stuff... I have been doing some research into lowering the car with Golf coilovers.
    How many of you have actually taken this route and if so can you advise of any issues you have encountered...

I have read this thread below, and it looks like the MK5 coilovers should fit. However this is in the US...
    Is there anything different I should be aware off?
    VWVortex.com - TIGUAN Coil-Over Install and Walkthrough - WARNING PHOTO HEAVY!!!

Thanks in advance,
    Adam

Hey Adam,

There's only 2 people I know on here that have gone the coil-over route and that's Ramee and Guy with his APR monster Tig.

Pretty much everyone else has just installed lowering springs (Eibach or H&R) - fixed ride height with the stock shocks.

I guess it depends what you want out of the car. If you want to lower more than 35-40mm then you'll need to go the coil-over route. If you're happy with the looks of the lowering springs then I'd be looking at going down this path as it's a cheaper option.

As far as using Golf coil-overs the problems you're going to have are these are set up/designed for Golf weights and not Tiguan which is a heavier car. Personally I'd be looking at the Koni's like Ramee is running or something that is designed to work on the Tiguan.

Given that your car is 2009 model it may be better to look at changing the shocks anyway if they are the original ones from the factory. If you've got the car up on a hoist and springs out you may as well do the shocks at the same time.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

HI Tigger,
    yeah Im starting to notice that not may people had done this.
    I didnt thing there was much in weight difference between R32 golf, and as such was going to opt for a 4wd (R32) golf coilover to allow for extra weight between standard golf and tig?

Would this still not be enough?

yeah 35-40mm is not enough haha, like I said in my intro thread, im looking at getting the wheels flush/level with the arches... removing all wheels gap... so without a tap or car handy I guess this would be about 60mm

Users Country Flag
    Little correction, I am not running coilovers it is Koni Yellow struts and Eibach Springs matching combo. So height is not adjustable and drop is similer to spring alone setup. But Koni dampers are good, rebound adjustable and lowering spring compatible so I changed everything in one go to avoid having future problems.

One guy in US running R32 coilovers in this Tig and looks very good and no complaints about them. But I think now he going for an Air suspension setup

VWVortex.com - DT's Build Thread
    Tiguan and Golf Coilovers-7523063196_c2f80bb50c_c-jpg
    H&R's Super Lows meant for Mkv R32
    Last edited by Ramee; 17-10-2014 at 04:15 PM.
    2013 Tiguan 155kW DSG | Leather | Bi Xenon's | Park Assist 2.0 | Panoramic Sunroof | RCD 510 | RVC | MDI
    Mods: APR K04 v3.1 | HPA Haldex | S3 Intercooler | Custom 3" Quad Tip Exhaust | Carbonio Intake | WL HD RSB | GFB DV+ | Koni Yellow Sport Struts & Eibach Springs | HP LCAs | Custom Audio ( Alpine MRX V70 , Audison Bit Ten , Dynamat , Stealth Sub ) | Car Tablet | CB Radio | Sports Pedals | RLine Door Sills | Wheel Arch Extensions | 3 Bar MAP & BKR8EIX | RT VCDS .... Performance: 0 - 100 km/h, 5.0 seconds ( Racelogic PBox tested ) Tiguan Build Thread

Users Country Flag
    what alloy and tyre size is this Tiguan using?

yeah i have read DTs build... thats what kinda gave me the idea...

Tiggy,
    I have sourced some 19x8.5 et 35 wheels, tyres i think 245/40R19.. but may go for 235 tyres

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggy View Post
    what alloy and tyre size is this Tiguan using?
    Wheels & tires:
    17x8.5 BBS CH003
    245/50/17 Yokohama S.Drive

Users Country Flag
    I am using VWR street version coilovers (height adjustable) from Harding Performance. I have to say...they are damn expensive but definitely worth the money. These are a MONOTUBE construction which is superior to a twin tube that the V1 offers. You've got to get something that is going to last long for heavier cars like Tiguan.

I haven't got any issues with them so far. The only issue that I had was the height. It's too low for my liking! Guy did something special for me so now it's all good.

Just make sure you have the right width and offset for your wheels, I had wider wheels and fatter tyres before (255/45/18 ET35) but it keeps scrapping so I had to get a another set of wheels with different offset, it's very embarrasing when people can hear it...
    Last edited by K04Tiggy; 17-10-2014 at 11:13 PM.
    2016 - BMW F25 X3 28i LCI M-Sport (Current)
    2011 - VW Tiguan 125TSI 7-speed DSG - APR Stage K04 (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by K04Tiggy View Post
    I am using VWR street version coilovers (height adjustable) from Harding Performance. I have to say...they are damn expensive but definitely worth the money. These are a MONOTUBE construction which is superior to a twin tube that the V1 offers. You've got to get something that is going to last long for heavier cars like Tiguan.

I haven't got any issues with them so far. The only issue that I had was the height. It's too low for my liking! Guy did something special for me so now it's all good.

Just make sure you have the right width and offset for your wheels, I had wider wheels and fatter tyres before (255/45/18 ET35) but it keeps scrapping so I had to get a another set of wheels with different offset, it's very embarrasing when people can hear it...
    So what set-up are you running now? Wheel size/offset/tyres?

I know Guy had some rubbing issues also and had to make sure he kept the wheels/tyres inside the arches otherwise they'd rub on the body... which meant he couldn't run as wide a wheel/tyre set-up as he'd originally hoped/planned.

Check Guys Tiguan build thread and he mentions it here: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...ml#post1040603

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    So what set-up are you running now? Wheel size/offset/tyres?

I know Guy had some rubbing issues also and had to make sure he kept the wheels/tyres inside the arches otherwise they'd rub on the body... which meant he couldn't run as wide a wheel/tyre set-up as he'd originally hoped/planned.

Check Guys Tiguan build thread and he mentions it here: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...ml#post1040603
    +1 Yeah We need some pics K04Tiggy!
    2013 Tiguan 155kW DSG | Leather | Bi Xenon's | Park Assist 2.0 | Panoramic Sunroof | RCD 510 | RVC | MDI
    Mods: APR K04 v3.1 | HPA Haldex | S3 Intercooler | Custom 3" Quad Tip Exhaust | Carbonio Intake | WL HD RSB | GFB DV+ | Koni Yellow Sport Struts & Eibach Springs | HP LCAs | Custom Audio ( Alpine MRX V70 , Audison Bit Ten , Dynamat , Stealth Sub ) | Car Tablet | CB Radio | Sports Pedals | RLine Door Sills | Wheel Arch Extensions | 3 Bar MAP & BKR8EIX | RT VCDS .... Performance: 0 - 100 km/h, 5.0 seconds ( Racelogic PBox tested ) Tiguan Build Thread

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast