Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiguan Factory Options Thread (or what options can I install after purchasing)

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries

So I test drove the TIG TDI twice yesterday... once in the std TDI and the other in the fully optioned one. I have more questions:

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    RNS-510+RVC - For me, it is unnecessary.
    <snip>
    Park assist - Agreed - no brainer that one. Even if you do not need the auto-park feature, it is worth just to get it for the on screen display. There is another thread about how it will look on the RCD310 (not so good apparently), so it may worth getting the Dynaudio which will give you the RCD510.
    and

Quote Originally Posted by deepspace View Post
    Arctra, Dynaudio is a premium sound system option which costs $1800 on TDI and $1300 on 147TSI. It also brings you the RCD510 with 6.5' touch screen and 6 CD changer. IMO it is a worthy investment not just because of the better sound quality but the huge touch screen display. RCD510 is definitely a great unit to play with and as Spook pointed out it stretches the value when you view the OPS (optical parking system) with park assist.
    Speaking to the sales woman at Barloword (who I wasn't very impressed with), she said that if you want the LCD screen you have to opt for the satnav. The Dynaudio option does not automatically mean you get the LCD screen. The Dynaudio website seems to back that up:
    "The optional Dynaudio sound system provides eight Dynaudio loudspeakers, digital signal processing (DSP) and 300 watts digital amplification"

No, frankly, I'm not to concerned about the speakers and sound quality as I'm no audiophile. But the LCD screen with reversing camera were certainly impressive in my opinion. I'll definitely be opting for the Park Assist, but it looks like I'll have to live with beeps and a basic display rather than the nice big LCD and reversing camera.

If you can shed some more light on this I'd appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    I would get the factory tow bar rather than aftermarket one it will work properly from the day one. For me it is like extra protection for the back especially at the car parks, it cost more to repair the paint, than to order genuine tow bar. I never remove the ball from the towbar.
    I'd like a towbar, but I can't see how the $1000 to $1500 the dealers quoted me are worth it. From what I understand if you get a reputable supplier to fit an aftermarket one here it'll cost in the $300 to $500 fitted price bracket, though I'm not sure if that'll tie in nicely with the ECU to modify your mapping appropriately when towing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    3) Are the sidesteps available yet? Wondering how much they cost.
    I can't comment on the Tig, but in the past sidesteps have proven to be more pain than they're worth in my family. Squeaking, rubbing off paint, and starting to look tackey after a couple years are the main problems. Would you really use them, or are they just to look good? If the latter, I'd advise against them.

Just to be clear - are you talking about the step fitted to the outside of the vehicle, or the scuff plate inside the door?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctra View Post
    I'd like a towbar, but I can't see how the $1000 to $1500 the dealers quoted me are worth it. From what I understand if you get a reputable supplier to fit an aftermarket one here it'll cost in the $300 to $500 fitted price bracket, though I'm not sure if that'll tie in nicely with the ECU to modify your mapping appropriately when towing.

I can't comment on the Tig, but in the past sidesteps have proven to be more pain than they're worth in my family. Squeaking, rubbing off paint, and starting to look tackey after a couple years are the main problems. Would you really use them, or are they just to look good? If the latter, I'd advise against them.
    I don't believe that you get the tow bar properly installed to Tig for $500.
    But lets say that somebody would fit it for $500, than I would doubt that it is wired up correctly. Factory tow bar fitted by the dealer comes with 3 years warranty. If you get rear-ended you get a new genuine tow bar, but if you opted for aftermarket you get something else. That is enough to satisfy me to spend extra $1000 on it. (The Last thing you want is someone with the drill not knowing anything about Tig drilling in yours, I also wouldn't like to be the first one the dealer is going to fit the tow-bar to.)

The side steps also protect the doors at the car parks when someone park to close and open his/hers door too wide. It all depends what you choose, how it is installed and how do you look after it.

Be VERY careful with after-market tow-bars and wiring. The Tig has very advanced electronics that monitor all the circuits and so if you "tap in" to other wiring the Tig will keep saying there are faults. Also, the Tig's special trailer wiring allows the alarm to work with the trailer AND more particularly resets the esp and abs to take the trailer into account and remove any rear "wobble" caused by the trailer so the trailer can't "take over" the car. Personally I think this is an area where VW specific is worth the money.

Cheers
    Derek
    Alexandra
    2022 R-Line Golf Mk8 in Kings Red Metallic
    Previously 3 Tiguans 2008, 2013, 2017

Speaking to the sales woman at Barloword (who I wasn't very impressed with), she said that if you want the LCD screen you have to opt for the satnav...

...If you can shed some more light on this I'd appreciate it.
    According to the brochure:

"Dynaudio 300W premium audio system, 8 channel amplifier and 8 speakers, AM/FM security coded radio, 6-1/2" touch screen display, with SD card slot and MP3 compatible 6 disc CD changer, in dash."

Sure sounds like RCD510 to me. I think she's trying to upsell you to the sat nav. Either that or it's back to the product training for the salesperson. Or perhaps the brochure is wrong.

Speaking to the sales woman at Barloword (who I wasn't very impressed with), she said that if you want the LCD screen you have to opt for the satnav.
    Arctra, the Dynaudio option definitely comes with the RCD510 unit which I have in my tig. I fully optioned it except satnav.

The Dynaudio option price difference between 147TSI which is equipped a RCD510 as standard with rest of models can also tell the truth.
    Proud owner of a 2009 Tiguan TDI, 18' wheel, leather, sunroof, park assist, dynaudio, bi-xenon, comfort pack, off-road, fog light.

Post Tiguan Factory Options Thread (or what options can I install after purchasing)

Hi there,

I'm looking at getting a Tiguan later this month. As with most European cars the list of options are endless but I think Ive figured out what I need. However I've got a few questions re some of the options available and was hoping someone out there would have some advice/suggestions.

1. MDI for ipod - I read somewhere that some one had this fitted by dealer rather than factory fitted and they didn't do a good job. Has anyone out there had a factory fitted one done? Also I assume having MDI would allow the you to control the ipod using the car radio. Does this mean that if you are no longer on AUX option on the radio the ipod switches itself off or goes into standby? I guess what I'm really asking is whether having the MDI will it give you full control over your ipod via the radio? Also anyone out there with the std RCD310 radio and the MDI fitted? Any feedback on how it performs?

2. The dealer has advised me that based on the options/colour that I want the only car he has available is one that is fitted with the 18" wheel which I don't want. He said that he can swap it back to the std 16" wheels with another Tiguan. Has anyone done this? This may sound like a silly question but will a car that comes fitted with 18" wheel having a suspension tuned specifically for 18" wheel as appose to a car with 16" wheels? I prefer a softer ride and understand that a 16" wheel will give you that. So I'm hoping I don't sacrifice ride comfort by swapping the wheels.

3. Does anyone know the specs for the RCD310 and the std speakers? Dynaudio option which comes with RCD510 has 300 watt speakers. I wonder what the wattage is for the std speakers? Just wondering whether $1800 is worth upgrading to RCD510 when the car already comes with 8 speakers. Is it really any better? Or at least $1800 better?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tiguan_hunting View Post
    1. MDI for ipod - I read somewhere that some one had this fitted by dealer rather than factory fitted and they didn't do a good job. Has anyone out there had a factory fitted one done? Also I assume having MDI would allow the you to control the ipod using the car radio. Does this mean that if you are no longer on AUX option on the radio the ipod switches itself off or goes into standby? I guess what I'm really asking is whether having the MDI will it give you full control over your ipod via the radio? Also anyone out there with the std RCD310 radio and the MDI fitted? Any feedback on how it performs?
    I have the dealer fitted MDI in my 147 which comes with the RCD510, i also have the Dynaudio option. I have full control of the iPod from the RCD510 touchscreen (navigating artists, songs, plaslists etc), it shows the artist, album and song info on the RCD510 screen. I can also see the Artist name and Song Title on the red Multifunction screen and can skip tracks via the multifunction steering wheel.

If you've ever had a Alpine Head unit, it is pretty the same ipod control as this. Before I had the MDI fitted I had a 3.5mm AUX-in inside the centre console this input has now been disconnected. My ipod currently isn't turning off (as it has been dead flat a couple of times first thing in the morning). I'm still trying to figure out if it's because my ipod is too old (it's about 4 years old) and there's a compatibility issue or that's just how it is...I'm going to try my new ipod nano with it to see what happens.

I've only heard the Dynaudio systems in the Tigs I test drove so I can't comment on the standard audio system. IMO The Dynaudio it awesome with the volume cranked up, at a low level it's so, so (not much bass)...prob not worth the money but if you want to keep your car looking OEM and like good quality loud music...yep it's worth it

If you're after more info on the RCD310 trying downloading the new Golf brochure as there might be something in there as I believe it is the standard radio across the range, or maybe try download a Tig brochure from VW UK.

Hope this helps.
    2012 GTD, DSG, White, RVC, RCD510 Dynaudio, R LED Tails

Thanks brh1978.

I will need to really listen to both radios to see whether I can pick up the difference. Was your MDI installed in the glove compartment?

might be worth the ask at your dealer about the upgrade software for the RNS510, I am told that it may well control the Ipod and Iphone. Also that the Phone module is likely to be added for the Australian market, however this will be a paid option.
    2011 multi van comfortline in night blue metallic, 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD in Mineral Grey

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast