Thread: Tiguan CAVD newbie .. help

Tiguan CAVD newbie .. help

Hi Guys,

I've been a Honda enthusiast for more than 10years now and just started reading about this Tiguan (118kw TSI CAVD Manual).
    We've had this for 4years now, my wife generally use it as her daily. We've been taking it to a Mechanic which is a 'European Expert' the whole time for servicing and issues. He's been OK but with recent issues it seems like he's taking a stab in a dark and not being a good value for money. So now I've decided to try troubleshoot and maintain it myself like how I am to my Honda save some cash. I know the technology of is a lot different but there's no harm in trying.

1st issue - Whenever we take the car for a decent 20-30min trip, we often can smell burnt oil when I get off and sometimes within inside the cabin. I've tried looking for oil leaks but there's nothing really obvious underneath or within the engine bay. He said VW's are known for burning oil and also found this from doing research, fair enough. But how come I just started noticing it lately?

2nd - CEL light comes on and off. My friend has a logger and found cylinder code and thinks its the Coil lead as the code changed from 3rd cylinder to 1st when we swap the leads around. Idle feels a bit rough as well.
    So we've replaced all 4x coils with aftermarket ones. And recently ordered a set of spark plugs and just waiting for them to arrive. Upon changing the coils, the CEL light disappeared, however it reappeared the next morning. And now it has been a routine for few days now where when we drive it through the day the CEL light will disappear and reappears again the following morning. I am really hoping that the Plugs are causing this.

3rd - There are times that it won't rev past 3K RPM when moving, even when it gets to normal operating temp. And again, driving through the day, after restarting the engine couple times. It will then again allow me to rev past 3K. Even with the CEL light on.

I also recently ordered my own OBDII logger to keep track and be more vigilant with the CEL codes. Being a car enthusiast, I am really anxious on getting this sorted. Hope someone can shed some light on them. It is funny though how all these issues started coming out immediately after going past the warranty period :/

Thanks in advance guys!

Hey patchwick, they're some funny gremlins you have there. I have a 118 TSI golf in manual.

1. Have a look around the block for oil/fluid seepage. I had a slight head leak on mine at the back that was only found when the engine got swapped. Oil is obviously getting on something hot. I've also had a strange leak from the oil filter housing that dripped into the alternator, which was a little scary. The filter housing leak was smellable in the cabin too.

2. Did the error move with the cable after the coil replacement or before? Maybe a cable or connector issue? Perhaps try find some used leads and see if it goes away. If you only moved the cable and the error moved then i would say it's the cable not the coil. New coils and plugs is always a good idea though. CEL errors can mean a number of things so an error report is most helpful.

3. Sounds like it's going into limp mode or something. I've had boost issues above 3,000RPM but that was related to the N75 and N249 valves. Do you have an error code report you can share? There's plenty of experience in the forum interpreting those.

Thanks for the feedback mate. Sorry for the late reply, been really busy with visitors from overseas.

1. Interesting, will definitely have a good look. If this is actually coming from the filter housing then it actually makes sense as it started to happen lately after the last service.

2. The error move before the coil replacement, when were swapping them around as part of the troubleshoot.

3. It does seem like its on limp mode, but when I did my research about VW limp modes, apparently it should not pass 80kmh? not 100% sure with this one. Mine still can go over 100kmh just won't rev past 3k.

I got my OBD2 scanner yesterday (ELM327), I did a quick scan this morning to check the current codes. I used an app called "EOBD-Facile" not the paid one as of yet as I'm still looking at other apps. It gave me some codes but not much comprehensive reports as of yet. Will have a look more on this next weekend when I get back from Melb.

Current codes as per app are:
    P10A4 - no description
    P000B - Camshaft 'B' Position slow response Bank 1
    P000F - Fuel System Over Pressure Relief Valve Activated
    P000F - Fuel System Over Pressure Relief Valve Activated (not sure why theres a 2nd one)
    P0010 - Camshaft 'A' Position Actuator A Control - Circuit Open (Bank 1)

[QUOTE
    3. It does seem like its on limp mode, but when I did my research about VW limp modes, apparently it should not pass 80kmh? not 100% sure with this one. Mine still can go over 100kmh just won't rev past 3k.
    [/QUOTE]

That's interesting. One thing that would make sense (although it's a long shot) is the APR valet mode being stuck on. If your car has an APR tune on it you can switch between tunes using the cruise control set button before ignition. The 4th mode is valet mode which restricts revs to 3,000 RPM. Did you buy the car second hand? Might be worth a look if you did...

APR Bosch MED17 EMCS Program Switching Walkthough - YouTube

Not sure about your error codes, I always get someone who knows these inside out to look at them, It's Dutch to me.

Have a look at the big 118TSI twin-charge thread in the mk6 Golf forum: Golf 118 TSI Engine Failures and Service Campaign 24S4

The Tiguan seems to be a little better in that they are running the newer/updated engine, however still appear to not have resolved all of the issues that plagued the earlier 118TSI cars

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag

The supercharger changeover flap can't remember what the valve itself is coded as e.g n2.. however you need to replace that valve to fix your 3k rpm issue, it gets stuck all the time . It's on the intake pipe itself, swaps the supercharger to the turbo and vicea versa.