Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tiguan 118TSI cracked piston

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jad View Post
    he advised that the piston failure was due to the higher ambient temperature extremes in Australia vs Europe and the piston material wasn't up to the job.
    My twincharger failed in December so there maybe something in that.
    The following link also mentions injector spray pattern was leading to excessive deposits on the piston crown and unburnt fuel.
    http://www.revotechnik.com/resources...sues%20Web.pdf

I think basically the motor was fairly tightly wound and ran a little hot.

I traded my car in even though i had years remaining on my extended warranty.
    Wasn't worth the hassle of constantly being in to try different repairs that were frankly getting nowhere.

Wouldn't Stage 1 cars be running even hotter then and be more prone to failure?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_R View Post
    Wouldn't Stage 1 cars be running even hotter then and be more prone to failure?
    Would depend on how all the parameters are set (boost, timing, fuel map, etc). The stock car is set up with different goals (fuel economy, emissions compliance, etc) than what a stage 1 would be so it's entirely possible that the modded car might be less of a grenade than the stock unit.

Personally, I wouldn't touch the post mkV twincharger with a bargepole.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Would depend on how all the parameters are set (boost, timing, fuel map, etc). The stock car is set up with different goals (fuel economy, emissions compliance, etc) than what a stage 1 would be so it's entirely possible that the modded car might be less of a grenade than the stock unit.

Personally, I wouldn't touch the post mkV twincharger with a bargepole.
    I have heard (no hard evidence) that the stock software runs the engine quite lean. Gets good economy but runs hot and can result in the damage we're seeing.

The stage 1 tune may actually help... But then again I wouldn't want to have one of these engines out of warranty given it's history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    But then again I wouldn't want to have one of these engines out of warranty given it's history.
    +1

I read a short, unofficial appraisal of the engine a while back by a respected engineer that knows VWs quite well. It was like a good idea that they simply hadn't developed properly.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Well the plan is to upgrade to an Audi perhaps in early 2015, so that's potentially 6 months out of extended warranty, I'll let you know how I get on

I've joined the two wheel club now as well which so far is proving to be a much better option for commuting.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    I have heard (no hard evidence) that the stock software runs the engine quite lean. Gets good economy but runs hot and can result in the damage we're seeing.
    I've read some detailed analysis that found that the standard tune for the engine (in the Golf 118 application) runs aggressively lean in the first couple of minutes of cold startup, to rapidly heat the cat (which is far more efficient in cutting back on emissions when hot). It's those first couple of minutes on every cold start that I'd be most concerned about with this engine.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

I can somewhat vouch for this - on some occasions when I cold-start the car it runs quite rough for the first minute. I've recently added the Misfire stats on my MFI and whenever this rough shuddering behaviour occurs, I see a load of Misfires on Cylinder #4. Usually in the vicinity of 25, but this morning I saw 45. Not bad enough to log a fault code or show the engine fult light on the dash though. Might have to quiz the dealer on it, but I know Aaron's cab shows the odd Misfire as well.

Just out of curiosity OP, how did it run when it was diagnosed with a cracked piston? and any particular codes?

My Tig are throwing codes for cylinder 1,3 and some intake code which I could not remember. Atm we think its just the coils or the spark plugs which I'm about to replace soon.
    The CEL light disappears randomly for some reason and goes back after couple days.
    Also it drives fine but there are times that it won't rev past 3k when driving (not stationery)
    Will try and do a compression test now I've read your story.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12