Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about the 4WD system in the Tiggy

Users Country Flag

Question about the 4WD system in the Tiggy

Hey Guys,
    Was after some info on the 4WD system in the Tiguan. Is it constant 4WD or FWD with AWD that kicks in when you get wheel spin? Does it have selectable modes etc?

Cheers
    Simon
    2008 VRS Wagon. Yellow, very yellow!
    Forever blowing bubbles.

Users Country Flag
    Its 90% FWD and 10% Rear IIRC and it does not have selectable modes to my knowledge.

The Offroad pack may have something different.

Derek (NZTiguan) will know
    - Ben

1961 Karmann Ghia Coupé - 1993 Golf Cabriolet - 2006 Golf Comfortline 1.9L TDI
    2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks Ben, I guess a Haldex controller would be available too?
    Forever blowing bubbles.

Users Country Flag
    Heres the excerpt from the PR

Quote Originally Posted by VW
    The new Tiguan: Haldex clutch controls power distribution in seconds

4MOTION provides more grip off-road and more safety on-road

In 1998 Volkswagen presented the highly advanced 4MOTION system as the successor to the full-time “syncro” all-wheel drive. Over nearly a full decade, the all-wheel drive concept has been continuously further developed in various technical configurations. An important design property of the 4MOTION systems installed in car segments up to the Passat V6 FSI (another technology is used on the Phaeton and Tiguan) is the very quick reacting Haldex clutch. The latest version of this technology operates on the Tiguan.

The defined development goal was an all-wheel drive that satisfies the highest standards for driving dynamics and driving safety on the road, while simultaneously offering optimal traction off of the paved trails. In practice, this means: Hardly any perceptible additional fuel consumption, no effects on the engine and no running noises.

4MOTION details

The electro-hydraulic Haldex clutch runs in an oil bath. The multi-plate clutch system itself was integrated in the rear axle drive of the Tiguan; the entire unit weighs just 44 kilograms. As soon as speed differences develop between the front and rear axles, two annular piston pumps are activated that build up pressure in the multi-plate clutch and join the axles to one another. The transferable torque varies with the magnitude of the pressure applied to the clutch plates, and this controls the flow of force between the front and rear wheels according to specific needs and stepless. As soon as the clutch detects slip at the front axle, more engine torque is applied to the rear axle. Normally, 90 percent of the propulsive force is to the front wheels and ten percent to the rear. In extreme cases, however, nearly 100 percent can be transferred to the rear axle.

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publi...cle_2053.shtml
    - Ben

2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Pullstarter View Post
    Thanks Ben, I guess a Haldex controller would be available too?
    Don't know ?
    - Ben

2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI

Thanks for the info
    Forever blowing bubbles.

Quote Originally Posted by phaeton View Post
    Its 90% FWD and 10% Rear IIRC and it does not have selectable modes to my knowledge.

The Offroad pack may have something different.

Derek (NZTiguan) will know
    Think most people have got this one answered above, yep it's the latest Haldex system which is one of the best if not the best around.

In the off-road version we have an "off-road" switch which alters the gear selection points, changes the throttle and brake pedal response and modifies the ABS and ESP systems for maximum off-road ability, it allows the diffs to lock-up and will even go so far as sending power to just one wheel if the others are losing traction (it actually sends the power to all 4 BUT uses the ABS to stop any spinning on the three that have lost traction). It also provides hill decent and ascent control. It's probably the most capable system out there for a multi purpose set-up.

When it's coupled with the diesel / auto it's an awesome little package.

Cheers
    Derek
    Alexandra
    2022 R-Line Golf Mk8 in Kings Red Metallic
    Previously 3 Tiguans 2008, 2013, 2017

Thanks Derek, very helpful
    Forever blowing bubbles.

50/50

[QUOTE=phaeton;260067]Its 90% FWD and 10% Rear IIRC and it does not have selectable modes to my knowledge.
    [QUOTE]
    I thought I read somewhere that on take-off the Tig always starts off in 50/50. Certainly feels that way, very secure in mud, wet grass or road surface
    Last edited by Arctra; 02-02-2010 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigga1 View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that on take-off the Tig always starts off in 50/50.
    Quite correct and if you have an auto and watch the gearchange points on the mfd you'll "feel" one that doesn't exist, that's the move from 50/50 back to 90/10 !! Certainly noticeable in the diesel which doesn't use 1st gear in "D" anyway.

Cheers
    Derek
    Alexandra
    2022 R-Line Golf Mk8 in Kings Red Metallic
    Previously 3 Tiguans 2008, 2013, 2017

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast