Support VWWC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question about the 4WD system in the Tiggy

Users Country Flag

I read Phaeton's post with interest as that was my understanding of how it all works from the VW literature that's was available when I purchased the vehicle. However, the other day I was attempting to tow a boat trailer and I had one front wheel on grass and one on the driveway. The wheel on grass spun madly and no power was transferred to either the other front wheel or to the rear wheels. After a few attempts I gave up and put the vehicle entirely on the driveway and used a rope to drag the trailer up. In this instance therefore, it operated just like any front wheel drive vehicle would have.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameciso View Post
    I read Phaeton's post with interest as that was my understanding of how it all works from the VW literature that's was available when I purchased the vehicle. However, the other day I was attempting to tow a boat trailer and I had one front wheel on grass and one on the driveway. The wheel on grass spun madly and no power was transferred to either the other front wheel or to the rear wheels. After a few attempts I gave up and put the vehicle entirely on the driveway and used a rope to drag the trailer up. In this instance therefore, it operated just like any front wheel drive vehicle would have.
    The front diff is open and I believe that both fronts would need to spin faster than the rear to trigger the Haldex.

Gavin

Users Country Flag
    So to get a true 4WD effect you would have to purchase the LSD if such an option exists. Do all small SUVs operate like this? It seems that you could really get caught if you mistakenly believed that you could rely on the 4WD to get you out of trouble with, say, one tyre in mud

Users Country Flag
    My understanding (I stand to be corrected) and in my experience, when starting from a standing start, the tig is in AWD untill it reaches a certain speed and then reverts to FWD. Certainly if I put my foot down on a dry road from a standing start I get an AWD wheel spin. It might be worth having the error codes read to see if the haldex has failed which is not uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    My understanding (I stand to be corrected) and in my experience, when starting from a standing start, the tig is in AWD untill it reaches a certain speed and then reverts to FWD. Certainly if I put my foot down on a dry road from a standing start I get an AWD wheel spin. It might be worth having the error codes read to see if the haldex has failed which is not uncommon.
    Digging up an old thread but this is my experience too. I have only driven offroad with the "off road" button engaged, however the grip is as good as my serious (constant 4x4) vehicles (tyres aside).

This writeup says the system only takes 150 ms to transmit full torque to the rear: The history of the HALDEX 4WD system and how it works in your VW's

There is a lot of confusion in this thread about the "diff locks" however. The Haldex works like a limited slip diff, however the front and rear diffs are open - relying instead on the ABS system to provide traction control.

However I have a question. I was driving some hills on the farm that I normally drive in low range in the landy. The Hill Descent light started flashing while going down. I cannot see a reference to this in the manual.

Also - it is annoying that the "off road" mode switches off every time the engine is stopped. is there any way to disable this?

Users Country Flag

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123