Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: lower control arms

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OilBurna View Post
    Original vw dealer or car yard?
    Ken Carrol's is a near new / prestige used car yard so i assume non-dealer.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

they are just a caryard non dealer , just real helpful since our car was out of warranty but still willing to help us out

Just bringing up this thread as i would like to get mine repaired while it is up on the hoist next week with a nearby other issue (CV joint).

To confirm, when my mechanic says 'caster rod bushes are showing signs of wear', is he referring to lower inner rear bushings? Or the front bushing where it was recommended to replace the the whole arm in an earlier post?

Was thinking i would just purchase the parts myself prior to taking it to my mechanic...

Thanks in advance!
    Current: MY18 TRANSPORTER CrewVan, Indium Grey
    Previous: MY10 Tiguan 2.0TSI, Silver Leaf, APR StgII tune + many mod's

Users Country Flag
    There are no caster rods on the front suspension of a Tiguan. There is nothing resembling a caster rod on the front suspension.

You might wish to clarify what part he is talking about.

It's probably item 4 (lower control arm rear bush or often called a console bush).

If he's pulling the LCA off then he may as well do item 3 (lower control arm front bush).

The only other thing it might be is item 14 (sway bar rubbers) or maybe item 15 (droplink).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lower control arms-018b21c6237cbe8bfe75124881225b2c-png  
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Thanks, Brad. Very helpful!

Might see if i can print the diagram & head over to see them to clarify...

Cheers!

Users Country Flag
    MGV - it will almost certainly be the bushing that's inside the part labelled #4 on brads image above. These bushes are known to crack and rip as they get older.

You can buy replacements. See link:

This is a solid version of the stock bushes. The Audi TT use these solid bushes for a more sporty feel. I installed these on my GTI. The stock bushes have holes in them which causes them to rip easily once they start to degrade. The solid bushes are a mild upgrade and will make steering a bit sharper: Febi Bilstein Wishbone Bushes 33973

Also see here for some pics of the original bushes being replaced with these solid bushes: Lower Front Control Arm Bushes Audi TT

These solid bushes are cheap (about $58 incl delivery for 2x) and will cost about $100 for a mechanic to remove old ones, use a press to install new bushes and re-install. I can recommend a place at Islington who did mine.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 03-03-2015 at 01:17 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Thanks for the tip/link, Lucas!

If anyone would like a pair as a spare or 'mild upgrade' , let me know by later tonight & i'll order some more to reduce freight costs, even though it's only $24.50 from the UK...

Brad, Lucas, it was indeed item 4 in the above drawing that my mechanic was referring to.

Brad, the parts numbered would have a listing of the part names as well? (Nomenclature?) Do you have this available to post up? Maybe it's Deutsch?

Thanks again.

Users Country Flag
    try poking through here

PartsBase.org - Catalogue of Auto Parts

#4 is a lower control arm rear bush or console bush

#3 is a lower control arm front bush

Users Country Flag

Sorry for digging an old post. I went to my dealership today and they are asking for $750 for replacing front bushes on both LCAs. Is that a fair go or nah?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast