Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Locked fuel cap - MY12 Tiguan

Users Country Flag

Question Locked fuel cap - MY12 Tiguan

The fuel cap on my tig won't open. Has anyone encountered this? I've Googled the problem, but the solutions that I've come across don't seem to work on my car. So far, I have tried:

• Locking/unlocking the car via remote
    • Holding down the remote boot unlock button
    • Opening the driver-side rear panel in the boot to try and find a manual release plug without success
    • Various combinations of push/wriggle/slide/force the cap open.

The car manual suggests to seek expert assistance if the fuel cap is locked. I'm hoping it won't get to that just yet!
    VWTiguan
    Candy White • 103TDI DSG • MY12 • Comfort Pack • Fog Lights • Leather Package
    ZE-NC2010 • ZE-RCE2001B • Thule WingBar

Users Country Flag
    Is there any manual pill cord in the boot my 2011 Tig doesn't that I know of? Possible interim solution I hope.

Users Country Flag
    All i have to do is have the car unlocked and push in on the rear of the fuel cap.
    Maybe try pressing the unlock button twice in succession to make sure it is unlocked.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Normally, that's exactly how I pop the cap, too. I guess I'm lucky in the sense that I've still got a 3/4 tank of fuel! It could be worse...

No combination of locks, unlocks, presses or holds seems to work
    VWTiguan
    Candy White • 103TDI DSG • MY12 • Comfort Pack • Fog Lights • Leather Package
    ZE-NC2010 • ZE-RCE2001B • Thule WingBar

Users Country Flag
    Sounds like something is binding or has blocked the mechanism (like the thether for the cap).

It might be a case of pressing a bit harder where you normally press...within reason.

It seems like the flap has a locking mechanism linked to the central locking. If this is the casem then it could be the actuator or link that has failed. When you try and unlock it, do you hear anything like an actuator trying to release the flap?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by wai View Post
    It seems like the flap has a locking mechanism linked to the central locking. If this is the casem then it could be the actuator or link that has failed. When you try and unlock it, do you hear anything like an actuator trying to release the flap?
    I don't hear anything at the fuel cap when unlocking. With the cap closed it's hard to visualise how the tether can affect the locking mechanism. Is it long enough to obstruct?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurange_Tiguan View Post
    I don't hear anything at the fuel cap when unlocking. With the cap closed it's hard to visualise how the tether can affect the locking mechanism. Is it long enough to obstruct?
    Going by my Caddy which does not have a locking mechanism but does have a tether. The tether is attached to the flap, and when closed the tether is put in quite an awkward position.

Actuators can go haywire. On my previous Hiace, the main solenoid that operated the central locking lever would end up with the clevis pin working its way out, so you would hear a much quieter click but it would not be enough to operate the central locking. It was then a case of opening the door with the key and then getting at the mechanism after removing the door trim and correcting things.

Now with your fuel flap, there will be some way of getting at the actuator without having to damage anything. You might have to do something like remove the wheel arch liner to get at it. It will probably be actuated via a cable of some sort, so it might be a case of tracing something coming from that general area.

sounds like you have a dud solenoid... when you unlock the car this solenoid retracts the locking pin on the petrol cap alowing you to press it in for it to pop out and open... that's why you cant lock the car when you are refuelling and then close the cap as the locking pin is now in place and prevents closing of the cap.
    i would suggest a trip to a repairer.
    1974 1300 Beetle, 1997 Golf GL, 2003 New Beetle Cabrio, 2014 Audi A4 quattro

Users Country Flag
    They are known to fail. I've replaced two previously. The only way in is to break the door off. Thankfully, it's plastic.

I got lucky with the ones I replaced, as they were intermittant, so I was able to replace the actuator quit easily.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag

I would not be breaking anything if it were my MY12 Tiguan. After all, it would be under warranty, and if the solenoid has failed, it will be covered by the warranty as there is nothing YOU can do to cause the solenoid to fail.

If you run out of fuel, then it would be a call to VW Assist for them to do what was necessary at their cost.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast