Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Locked fuel cap - MY12 Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    So the question is - where to apply the lubrication?
    The lube I used is in an aerosol can & I put a small amount on the sides of the plunger & moved it in & out a couple of times. It's still working fine.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Users Country Flag
    DONT USE GREASE OR WD40 They attract dust and rubbish and will make it worse

USE A SLICONE SPRAY which doesnt leave a residue I use H4000 silicone spray which I mainly use on garage roller door tracks. $9 a can at my local Mitre 10

WD40 is also bad on the garage door tracks for the same reason, gathers dust and makes the tracks rough and the doors stick. I look after 122 of them so have a bit of experience in maintenance of them.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Bydant View Post
    ... my only concern is people putting stuff in, not taking stuff out.
    I wonder if a key-lockable inner cap with the correct thread would be available? Probably!

I haven't had an issue yet & at 110 000, so might just put a little inox on the moving parts in there for peace of mind & hope for the best...
    Current: MY18 TRANSPORTER CrewVan, Indium Grey
    Previous: MY10 Tiguan 2.0TSI, Silver Leaf, APR StgII tune + many mod's

Since that last post 9 months ago, mine has developed this problem which has been worsening over the past few months... With the cap open, the mechanism seemed to work fine. I put a few drops of 'Lanox' on the moving parts, which didn't seem to have any +/- effects. I was able to open the filler cap if i pushed on it whilst pressing unlock button on the key fob.

That no longer works, so i'm off to my repairer to have it looked at tomorrow. They have a new 'actuator' ($80) to install. Unsure on the labour component on the repair... Or how they intend getting in to replace it if the cap doesn't open?

Update tomorrow. Others may find useful as this seems to be not that uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    DONT USE GREASE OR WD40 They attract dust and rubbish and will make it worse

USE A SLICONE SPRAY which doesnt leave a residue
    I used a Teflon based lubricant that also dries without residue. It is available at gun shops. Mine is still working OK.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

Quote Originally Posted by Bydant View Post
    ..... There was also a technique to getting it to actuate, which was pushing the door in just the right amount to take the load off the actuator when unlocking.....
    This little tip seemed to do the trick! Worked this morning. It wouldn't open by pushing on it unless i used a very gentle pressure (just push it in 2 or 3mm, whilst clicking unlock on fob.

I also have this issue, currently just pushing the door while pressing the lock/unlock button on my remote

has anyone disconnected it and how was it done?

I am not concerned with the rare possibility of someone stealing my fuel. lol its not the 70s

i considered sawing off the plastic locking tab inside the flap & holding it closed with velcro (for about 2 minutes...) Ended up forking out $190 for my independent mechanic (part + 1 hour labour) to fix it, hopefully it lasts another 7 years!

Users Country Flag
    Mine 2012 tig did not let me pop fuel lid open as it normally earlier this morning. Manual says nothing about emergency release so I went and google it. Found this thread and tried the lock/unlock also pushed it in hard a few time. And it work for me. Will need to look into this further

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag

I just experienced this for the first time in my 2010 Tiguan.
    Tried the unlock/lock while pressing method and it didn't do anything.

Opened the boot and removed the side panel and jiggled the wiring for the solenoid and when i pushed on the fuel cap it popped open and worked again.

Didn't seem dirty but i gave it a quick wipe, could have just been a loose wire.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast