Support VWWC

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Locked fuel cap - MY12 Tiguan

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wai View Post
    I would not be breaking anything if it were my MY12 Tiguan. After all, it would be under warranty, and if the solenoid has failed, it will be covered by the warranty as there is nothing YOU can do to cause the solenoid to fail.

If you run out of fuel, then it would be a call to VW Assist for them to do what was necessary at their cost.
    Yep, that's OK,
    Umai Naa!! just give us some insight, how it gets repaired. And, if that's the only the way to get that job done, then it's useful to know that you can break the plastic door to fill up (no need to risk running out of fuel), knowing that VW dealer should replace them with a new solenoid under the warranty.

Users Country Flag
    I'd ring my preferred dealership first, and give them a heads up, before breaking the door off.

Once you've got the door off, keep hold of it, and present it to your dealership at your appointment to repair the vehicle. Hopefully, they'll play ball, and claim the door under warranty, as consequential damage as a result of the actuator failing.

Hot tip: there's usually enough movement in the hinge, that you can flex it enough to get your fingers in behind it. Then just apply outward force as close to the actuator pin as you can.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

About 12 months ago, mine wouldn't open intermittently. But when I had it open, I lubricated it with WD40 and its worked fine since.

Users Country Flag
    In reality, a solenoid should rarely fail. After all, they have been used for decades. It is not as though they are the latest development in engineering. This is what happens when QA consultants come in and convince a manufacturer that there is nothing wrong with a 5% failure rate. They are told to "Think of the money you will save by accepting a 5% failure rate in service. Even if you have to replace 5% a number of times, you still come out in front."

Sadly I have been involved with companies who have gone down this path and almost closed.

If something like this happened more than once on my car, I would be leaving it off. Actually with a diesel, just get a Diesel Key mis-fuelling prevention device. I have one on my Caddy TDI250. It does not lock the filler, but you do need to insert a diesel fuel nozzle to be able to get anything into the tank.

Users Country Flag
    Hey wai, where did you buy that diesel key?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Hey wai, where did you buy that diesel key?
    I got it direct from Diesel Key at Wholesale Cap, Hats, Clothing & Promotional gifts Supplier. Yes, that is Diesel Key
    Last edited by wai; 06-02-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I'm getting VW servicing to fix the problem. The guy I spoke with says it will be repaired under warranty unless it turns out the problem was caused by damage of some sort, obviously.
    VWTiguan
    Candy White • 103TDI DSG • MY12 • Comfort Pack • Fog Lights • Leather Package
    ZE-NC2010 • ZE-RCE2001B • Thule WingBar

Users Country Flag
    I had a similar situation with my fuel flap on my BMW A quick burst ow WD40 solved the problem. maybe there has been too much resistance to the solenoid pin and it has "burn't" out I am pretty sure there must be a way to access it from inside the car to unlock it like BMW have in theirs as they all copy one another if it,s a good idea

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by wai View Post
    I got it direct from Diesel Key at Wholesale Cap, Hats, Clothing & Promotional gifts Supplier. Yes, that is Diesel Key
    Thanks for that.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
    About 12 months ago, mine wouldn't open intermittently. But when I had it open, I lubricated it with WD40 and its worked fine since.
    Yep. My 08 Tig did this just last week. Repeated pressing of the unlock button on the remote while pressing the fuel filler cover eventually did the trick. The lock gets sticky. WD40 and some rubber grease on the striker has fixed the problem.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast