Thread: Key Fob not Unlocking

Users Country Flag

Key Fob not Unlocking

Yesterday I posted about battery drain issues & the fact that the car failed to start, so battery voltage would have dropped very low.
    Today I found that the key fob will lock the doors but won't unlock them, the rear hatch unlocks, fortunately, as I didn't know about the concealed key lock.
    Would the low voltage have caused an issue with the remote locking/unlocking?
    Thanks.

Users Country Flag
    Yes can do as not enough juice to activate unlocking. Had it happen to me from low battery Could also be a flat battery in the remote Easy to change Youtube will show you how
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Yes can do as not enough juice to activate unlocking. Had it happen to me from low battery Could also be a flat battery in the remote Easy to change Youtube will show you how
    Sorry, I should have said that I charged the battery & had driven the vehicle about 15kms, also after noticing the unlocking problem I changed the key fob battery as well. It locks ok, also will unlock the tail gate, but won't unlock the doors.

Users Country Flag
    If I'm not mistaken, then all keys need to be reinitialised. I believe there might be a thread here somewhere on how to do this.

Users Country Flag
    Have had about 4 flat battery occurrances and never had to do anything to the keys Both still work once battery comes up
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    I have it in the back of my mind that once you use the key in the door lock, the key fob will not function correctly. Which is why I believe the key fob needs to be reinitialised (I could be wrong)

I've been using key in the door lock at least weekly for over 6 years, no issue ('surf key'). I believe there would be an issue if i tried to use the 'surf key' in the ignition, which would need for the key to be reinitialized. Maybe that's what you were thinking of, Johnny?
    Current: MY18 TRANSPORTER CrewVan, Indium Grey
    Previous: MY10 Tiguan 2.0TSI, Silver Leaf, APR StgII tune + many mod's

Users Country Flag

Try locking and unlocking the driver's door manually with the key, then insert into ignition to ACC and off again. The remote part may work again after that.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.