Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to tell if Diesel recall is fitted

Users Country Flag

How to tell if Diesel recall is fitted

I recently got my car serviced at a volkswagen dealership. When dropping my car off i informed the service rep i do not want the diesel fuel recall fix applied to my car. The service rep wrote a note on the paperwork and said it would not be applied. When picking up my car a different service rep went through checklist of work done and stated the diesel recall has been done on the car. I informed the service rep i stated i did not want my car to have the recall applied and the service rep assured me ot would not happen. The service rep then said let me just double check to see if it was performed and walked out to the garage and walked straight back in and said oh no that was added to the checklist by accident and the fix was not performed( it seemed like he was lying). Since i have had my car serviced i have noticed a significant performance drop and it seems like a drop in fuel performance.

How can i check if the fix was applied?
    and what can i do about it?
    I have a 2009 volkswagen tiguan diesel

Users Country Flag
    You could try ringing the dealer, posing as a potential buyer of your Tiguan and ask if they have any records that if the fix has been applied or not. They should ask you for the VIN and then they should be able to tell you.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

Users Country Flag
    Some dealerships won't talk to you due to customer confidentiality, so that idea might not work.
    I very much doubt they would let your car drive out of there without the fix done. I'd say they are under very strict instructions/obligations to fix the map at any given opportunity.
    Do you not want it done only for fuel efficiency? I mean, it's pretty selfish if that's the reason, not that I care in the slightest, but you may get others on here having a stab
    | 2016 VW Golf R 7 | DSG | Pure White | Leather | Sunroof | Driver Assist | JB4 |
    | 2003 VW Golf SE | Auto | Silver | Sunroof |
    | 2010 VW Golf R 6 | Manual | Leather | ACC | 19s | Black Pack | GIAC Stage 2+ |

Users Country Flag
    If they done it, there isn’t much you can do about it. Other than sue them for the cost of the car you think it’s reasonable, in which case they would deserve it and pay you for all inconvenience.

Users Country Flag
    ^ That...

..Or, tune time.
    | 2016 VW Golf R 7 | DSG | Pure White | Leather | Sunroof | Driver Assist | JB4 |
    | 2003 VW Golf SE | Auto | Silver | Sunroof |
    | 2010 VW Golf R 6 | Manual | Leather | ACC | 19s | Black Pack | GIAC Stage 2+ |

Users Country Flag
    It would have a label dated for whenever you were in there, on the A-pillar, if it was carried out.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    The recall sticker code(s) 23R7 (formerly 23Q2)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    It would have a label dated for whenever you were in there, on the A-pillar, if it was carried out.
    ^ this. I have 2 recall stickers near the driver door hinge on the A-pillar, they are almost stamped into the body.
    MY11 Tiguan 125TSI | 4Motion | DSG | APR Stage 2 | GolfR IC | HF turbo outlet + throttle pipes | CAI | 3" DP

Ceres_mining_co's Tiguan build

Users Country Flag
    You can also check the software version via VCDS

Your mistake happened when you took it to the dealer for servicing. The service guys have to hook it up to the computer as part of the service procedure and all it takes is for the apprentice/tech to not read the note, hit the button and it'll rewrite the ECU. Unfortunately there's no way for them to revert it once it's done as the computer can only update it to a newer version of software that matches your vehicle.

If the performance/torque is down at low-medium RPMs as you describe more than likely it's been updated/down-graded.

You can go to the dealer and complain but likely it's not going to do much good. There's not much the dealer can do now that it's been done. As Transporter said the only route left is really to go down the legal pathway given that you specifically requested them not to do the update. Though you'd need a copy of the service record with those instruction on it as proof. I know some dealerships were getting people to sign waivers saying that they had been asked and refused the update. If you had this and then had received the downgrade then you'd have the evidence required for legal redress. But depends what "loss" you think you've incurred as to what you could potentially be awarded in terms of damages.

Or you could just go and get an aftermarket tune and make it even better than it was before. The money that you spent on the tune will be long forgotten after you can't stop wiping the smile off your face.
    Last edited by tigger73; 03-11-2017 at 05:38 AM.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast