Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hayman Reese now make towbars for Tiguan's.

Keen...

I've been wanting a towbar for my Tig, so with the Hayman Reese solution I thought, YES!

.... rang local TJM distributor to get a quote...

after checking with his distributor, he came back with N/A. After I gave him the part no's he went back to distributor and rang back with the following info:

• Towbar $640
    • Wiring $210.50
    • fitting $300 (cause there's a lot of work involved, from front to back of vehicle

But then he added that there's been a recall on the product, due to a fitting problem, and he couldn't tell me if it would take a week or a month...

So, for a total of $1150, with no connection to the Tig's other features, I'm starting to lean towards OEM...

your thoughts...?

Users Country Flag
    Hey Tigga,
    It really depends on what you would be using it for.

If it's just to take the jet-ski down to the bay or a small trailer to the tip etc then i would go Hayman recce.

If you are looking at doing some serious towing i suggest (apart from getting a better vehicle to tow with) that you go OEM for the more integrated system.
    This would be for a big camper trailer etc though imho.

Users Country Flag
    So, how much is it fitted then? If it's only a couple hundred of $ than I'd rather pay for proper tow bar kit. IMO, Haymen Reece makes from Tiguan less safe vehicle if someone would use it for towing caravan or heavy trailer.
    Last edited by Transporter; 11-05-2010 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    So, how much is it fitted then? If it's only a couple hundred of $ than I'd rather pay for proper tow bar kit. IMO, Haymen Reece makes from Tiguan less safe vehicle if someone would use it for towing caravan or heavy trailer.

Absolutely true, why compromise your safety for a few bucks, isn't safety one of the reasons you paid more for a Tiguan ? it certainly was for me.
    Last edited by Transporter; 11-05-2010 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Correct typing mistake in the quote.
    Derek
    Alexandra
    2022 R-Line Golf Mk8 in Kings Red Metallic
    Previously 3 Tiguans 2008, 2013, 2017

I would be interested to see pic of the H/R bar fitted. I have yet to have a good look at the VW bar but from my previous experance with H/R I would go with the VW electrics and the H/R bar. Interested to see it vs the VW one.
    Cheers
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by *thad* View Post
    I would be interested to see pic of the H/R bar fitted. I have yet to have a good look at the VW bar but from my previous experance with H/R I would go with the VW electrics and the H/R bar. Interested to see it vs the VW one.
    Cheers
    Ross
    Sounds like a good compromise solution if it saves you any dosh. Here in NZ the bar is locally made anyway (BestBars Auckland) so that's what you get with a dealer fitting it.

Cheers
    Derek
    Alexandra
    2022 R-Line Golf Mk8 in Kings Red Metallic
    Previously 3 Tiguans 2008, 2013, 2017

Had a quote today for the Hayman Reece bar (rrp $799) $1050 fitted Melbourne
    TDI tiguan in the drive. ParkAssist, comfort, fogs
    Service every 15,000, new fault code every 7,500km

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanman View Post
    Had a quote today for the Hayman Reece bar (rrp $799) $1050 fitted Melbourne
    In that case anybody ordering a new Tiguan should negotiate with the dealer the cost of the tow bar since there is no saving if you would buy HR tow bar and VW wiring. In my case it would be more expensive. Of course for those who fit the tow bar after purchase it might be a bit different.

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries
    I've had a burning question since I saw the design of the HR tow hitch. Why do HR feel they have to have a full support structure for the hitch when VW simply have a small bolt-on solution? See Volkswagen Tiguan 4 Motion 2.0T > Exterior > Trailer :

If VW rate the impact bar as strong enough, why do HR question that? Also, fitting the OEM one will cause less cosmetic damage than the HR one which I have to admit to finding desirable.

Any comments?

Tiguan TDI, 6spd Tiptronic Auto
    Black, sunroof, comfort pack, off-road tech, tan leather, park assist & roof bars.
    Avg 7.63L/100km over 189,000kms

hmm, 4 smallish bolts into the chassis for 2 Tonne towing capability?
    doesn't actually look that strong to me.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast