Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Haldex Upgrade - Controller Installation Guide + Oil Change

Haldex Upgrade - Controller Installation Guide + Oil Change

The Tiguan runs a Gen4 Haldex controller and this unit controls the amount of torque that is transferred to the rear wheels. I recently upgraded my Haldex Controller to a Haldex Performance controller and although it doesn't make a large difference to day-to-day driving there is quite a noticeable change to the handling on more spirited drives.

So I thought I'd include an install guide here for the controller plus information on how to perform an oil change on the Haldex unit. Haldex oil should be changed every 60,000km, however when you swap controllers you will lose some oil so you should either top up the amount you lost or consider doing an oil change at the same time.

You'll require a few standard tools for this job - 4mm, 5mm and 8mm hex keys. Plus you'll also need a short throw 4mm hex tool and a syringe:

Haldex Controller Upgrade

To replace the controller unplug the electrical connectors on top of the controller. You can get a screw driver in where marked and twist to undo these clips (may not be the recommended procedure but it works):

Next undo the 2 x 4mm hex bolts holding the controller to the body of the Haldex coupling.

Remove the controller.

The Haldex control solenoid may remain stuck inside the Haldex coupling. If this occurs, you will need to gently persuade the solenoid (vice grips with a cloth) to remove it. Be warned that as soon as this is removed, a small amount of Haldex oil will come out so position a spill tray underneath when you do this step.

Haldex solonoid removed:

If you're going to attempt to replace without refilling/topping up your Haldex oil, you will need to be ready to insert the new Haldex controller assembly immediately after the solenoid is removed.

Finally re-install the 2 x 4mm bolts and re-attach the 2 x electrical connectors.

Install complete!

Haldex Oil Change

Undo the 5mm hex screw (fill point).

Position your oil pan under the drain point and then use an 8mm hex tool to remove the drain bolt:

Once all oil is drained, reinstall the 8mm hex drain bolt. Use the syringe to refill the Haldex coupling with fresh Haldex oil. Stop when oil starts coming back out the fill point.

Reinstall the 5mm hex screw (fill point). You may need to drive around the block and check fluid levels again. Likely if you've changed the controller you will have lost oil from further inside the coupling. Check the amount of oil that has come out vs. how much you've put in is the same. You may need to top up at this point to make sure you have replaced all fluids. If you're like me and used a syringe then you'll likely have lost a few ml in the process too.

Job done!

Haldex Filter Replacement

I didn't do it this time around as I only found this information later, however there is also a filter for the Gen4 controller. I asked VW service about this at the time and they said there was no filter. Had this repeated a couple of places... but I still didn't believe it.

Anyway the Gen4 Haldex filter kit is available from a couple of places:

Nuespeed: Haldex Gen 4 Filter Replacement Kit

HSTuning: HS Tuning - Haldex Gen 4 Filter Replacement Kit - HALDEX.111358

I will definitely be doing this one on next oil change.
    Last edited by tigger73; 01-05-2014 at 10:33 PM.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Nice job and good guide! Well done
    2013 Tiguan 155kW DSG | Leather | Bi Xenon's | Park Assist 2.0 | Panoramic Sunroof | RCD 510 | RVC | MDI
    Mods: APR K04 v3.1 | HPA Haldex | S3 Intercooler | Custom 3" Quad Tip Exhaust | Carbonio Intake | WL HD RSB | GFB DV+ | Koni Yellow Sport Struts & Eibach Springs | HP LCAs | Custom Audio ( Alpine MRX V70 , Audison Bit Ten , Dynamat , Stealth Sub ) | Car Tablet | CB Radio | Sports Pedals | RLine Door Sills | Wheel Arch Extensions | 3 Bar MAP & BKR8EIX | RT VCDS .... Performance: 0 - 100 km/h, 5.0 seconds ( Racelogic PBox tested ) Tiguan Build Thread

Users Country Flag
    + 1 - very comprehensive and easy to follow "how to" as always Tigger
    2011 147TSi 7spd DSG Reflex Silver, 18" New York Alloys, Leather with MDI, ECB Nudge Bar, Viezu Tune (Work in Progress), Eibach ProKit Springs, SuperPro Poly ALK & Rear Trailing Arm Bushes, H&R 26mm Rear ASB and Whiteline HD Adjustable End-Links, VAR Design 3" Downpipe, Sprint Booster, Auto-Polar FIS+ Advanced Module, GTI Sports Pedals, Flappy Paddle Strg Wheel, LED fogs as DRL, chrome blingy bits

Thanks guys. I know both of you guys have done this one before so if there's anything to add/comments etc please feel free.

This is a relatively simple process, however I found getting the electrical connectors off "blind" a real pain. So I didn't follow the steps above to the letter. First I unbolted the controller then was able to rotate it so I could get a better look at what I was trying to do. If you could do it the other way around would be better as a fair bit of crap came out of the connectors when they were pulled apart.

Also if I was to do the Haldex oil again I'd make sure I had a bigger syringe as refilling 700ml Haldex oil with a 10ml syringe is a bit slow.
    Last edited by tigger73; 26-04-2014 at 07:16 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Nothing to add here - just sorry I wasn't prepared/patient enough to do a write up when I did mine...
    And now that you mention it that electrical connector was a real PITA for me too
    As you said, no real difference in day to day driving, only when really pushing it - in combination with springs and ASB makes it a really nice neutral handling machine :p
    2011 147TSi 7spd DSG Reflex Silver, 18" New York Alloys, Leather with MDI, ECB Nudge Bar, Viezu Tune (Work in Progress), Eibach ProKit Springs, SuperPro Poly ALK & Rear Trailing Arm Bushes, H&R 26mm Rear ASB and Whiteline HD Adjustable End-Links, VAR Design 3" Downpipe, Sprint Booster, Auto-Polar FIS+ Advanced Module, GTI Sports Pedals, Flappy Paddle Strg Wheel, LED fogs as DRL, chrome blingy bits

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggy1 View Post
    Nothing to add here - just sorry I wasn't prepared/patient enough to do a write up when I did mine...
    Yes I couldn't find a nice write-up anywhere so figured I may as well do one while it was still fresh in the memory banks.

As usual I forgot to take photos along the way

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggy1 View Post
    As you said, no real difference in day to day driving, only when really pushing it - in combination with springs and ASB makes it a really nice neutral handling machine
    I haven't had the chance to go for a proper drive yet - just around a few round-abouts near my house but the handling is so much better. It's like you don't have to fight the car around the corner anymore and it just goes where it's pointed without any fuss.

Why do we have to spend all this money on our cars to do what could easily have been done at the factory????
    Last edited by tigger73; 26-04-2014 at 07:54 AM.

Does anyone know if there is a filter to change on the OAY Haldex coupling?

I saw this mounted just below/near the housing and wondering if this is a part that needs to be replaced.

Haldex Upgrade - Controller Installation Guide + Oil Change-haldex-filter-004-jpg

I know on other couplings there is a filter that gets replaced when you change the oil. I asked the local parts dept and they said no filter required...

Tried hard to get a part number off it but it's in a hard to get to place

Haldex Upgrade - Controller Installation Guide + Oil Change-haldex-filter-018-jpg

Haldex Upgrade - Controller Installation Guide + Oil Change-haldex-filter-002-jpg

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a filter to change on the OAY Haldex coupling?

I saw this mounted just below/near the housing and wondering if this is a part that needs to be replaced.

Haldex Upgrade - Controller Installation Guide + Oil Change-haldex-filter-004-jpg

I know on other couplings there is a filter that gets replaced when you change the oil. I asked the local parts dept and they said no filter required...

Tried hard to get a part number off it but it's in a hard to get to place

Haldex Upgrade - Controller Installation Guide + Oil Change-haldex-filter-018-jpg

Haldex Upgrade - Controller Installation Guide + Oil Change-haldex-filter-002-jpg

It is not the filter. What you are referring to is the Haldex pump. For this version of Haldex there is no replacement filter as far as I know. But actually there is a filter on top of the Haldex unit above the Haldex pump. But this is usually not replaced.
    2013 Tiguan 155kW DSG | Leather | Bi Xenon's | Park Assist 2.0 | Panoramic Sunroof | RCD 510 | RVC | MDI
    Mods: APR K04 v3.1 | HPA Haldex | S3 Intercooler | Custom 3" Quad Tip Exhaust | Carbonio Intake | WL HD RSB | GFB DV+ | Koni Yellow Sport Struts & Eibach Springs | HP LCAs | Custom Audio ( Alpine MRX V70 , Audison Bit Ten , Dynamat , Stealth Sub ) | Car Tablet | CB Radio | Sports Pedals | RLine Door Sills | Wheel Arch Extensions | 3 Bar MAP & BKR8EIX | RT VCDS .... Performance: 0 - 100 km/h, 5.0 seconds ( Racelogic PBox tested ) Tiguan Build Thread

Users Country Flag
    No filter on the Gen4 Haldex.

Good write-up, by the way. I fitted a Haldex Blue for a customer, and it's pretty much spot-on.

Only thing I did differently was use a Tom Thumb fluid pump bottle instead of the syringe. Takes less than a minute to fill the Haldex. I always give it a few pumps through, before I put the drain plug back in, just to give it a bit of a flush through.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag

Haldex Pump Disassembly!

This is somewhat relevant to Haldex so thought I just add this to the thread. Also got few pictures of controller disassembly as well so Tigger73 can use in the guide if guide missing few pics.

Haldex Pump and Haldex Controller Removed

Haldex control solenoid is stucked in the Haldex unit.

Haldex solonoid removed

Haldex Pump

This is not very important but I disassembled the pump as well so I'll post some pictures of it too.

These tiny little pistons pump Haldex oil to create hydraulic pressure.

Last edited by Ramee; 26-04-2014 at 02:39 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast