Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: four year old (50,000kms) Tig with worn suspension - my "new" 2nd hand Tiguan.

Users Country Flag

four year old (50,000kms) Tig with worn suspension - my "new" 2nd hand Tiguan.

Hi, have spent a few years lurking about here learning stuff but not joined in.
    Late last year I bought my third VW and the only one that I haven't owned from new. It's a four year old 2012 (2013 delivery) Tiguan 2.0 TSI 132 KW Pacific 4Motion with just under 50K kms on the clock at the time. Its the Tiptronic Transmission version with a few upgrades including leather.

I had my long time VW mechanic look over it and give me post-purchase assessment for things that need attention and any warranty issues that might exist and I would like some thoughts from others with experience of the beast..

There were three things that came up.

i) Inspection shows leaking rear shocks. But VW says "they're damp from very minor weeping at the seal but its okay and they all do that". I can feel a small amount of rear-wheel bounce over small bumps (and a slight step off line (bump steer) with cornering load) and would say there isn't good damping control in some instances.
    Changing them is a job I can do myself but getting a suitable replacement isn't as clear. I see sparesbox.com.au offering Sachs which look like the OE part. Does anyone have a better alternative replacement suggestion or supplier? (Obviously I could go crazy and get Koni or Bilstein high performance units but I want to keep it real unless its just a couple of fiftie$ diff.)

ii) Inspection shows front sway-bar links worn. This is another job I can do, and again, sparesbox have Whiteline Heavy Duty KLC167 links.
    Is this kind of parts-wear something I could notice improvement in steering / ride by changing the links?
    Its surprising that a part like this could have enough wear after 50K kms to need replacement.. any ideas / better suggestions?

iii) The last item noted with wear was the lower control arm castor bushes. I can feel a small amount of softness (or indirectness / lack of tightness) through the steering and ride so I expect that could be the cause and there's also a small amount of lash (noise from the front) when braking in reverse after forward travel.
    Again, I'm surprised that castor bushes could be worn after 50K.
    Have any other Tiguan owners needed to replace this part? Its also something I hesitate doing myself and will require wheel alignment afterward.

In general, it seems like a sound car (touch wood) and I'm happy enough but I'd like to make it drive a bit better but I'm also wondering if I'm expecting a bit too much to get it feeling tighter when its sitting on the standard 16" 65% aspect tyres but I can't justify new wheels and major suspension upgrade.

Chris

Hi pistoncranky
    I think you are worrying too much!
    I've had 3 Golfs [2 GTI's] and now have a 2012 Tiguan like yours as well as a 2017.

In my experience the Tiguan, though superior in its class does handle, softer, ie sloppier than the Golf. Even with the new one you get the occasional rattle and bang from the suspension. With the 2012 there is occasionally feedback mid- corner that I find a bit funny. In my humble opinion, enjoy the excellent build quality, panel fit, solid doors, quietness and performance of your car.
    After having 27 different cars, 26 motorcycles and one wife, I have discovered that perfection is unattainable.

I'm not that flash either!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by REGS12 View Post
    Hi pistoncranky
    I've had 3 Golfs [2 GTI's] and now have a 2012 Tiguan like yours as well as a 2017.

In my experience the Tiguan, though superior in its class does handle, softer, ie sloppier than the Golf. Even with the new one you get the occasional rattle and bang from the suspension. With the 2012 there is occasionally feedback mid- corner that I find a bit funny. In my humble opinion, enjoy the excellent build quality, panel fit, solid doors, quietness and performance of your car.
    After having 27 different cars, 26 motorcycles and one wife, I have discovered that perfection is unattainable.

True words mate!!!
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Rear shock replacement - or not?

Quote Originally Posted by REGS12 View Post
    Hi pistoncranky

Thanks for the reply. I take your point(s) and I'm happy with how nimble it is for an all-roader.. and all the other nice things which dragged me away from another Subaru (have had four of them).

My mechanic tells me that there's noticeable (to him) wear on the rear tyres (described as not truly round - he said "imagine a 50 cent piece, but not that exagerated," which he attributes to the leaking shocks. The tyres are 60% worn but I can't see the irregular shape.

I'm debating changing the shocks on the strength of his assessment because I can do it myself and any improvement in the handling / ride would justify it.

Has anybody updated their rear shocks to a better quality unit and noticed any gains?

Cheers,

Chris
    (PS: Regs12, none of us are that flash!)

Users Country Flag
    Get the solid rubber caster bushes from the Audi TT and you will never have to worry about them again. Cost is about $50 delivered form the UK. Febi Bilstein Wishbone Bushing 33973

The OEM shocks are made by Sachs, so get ones on sparesbox should be correct as a OEM replacement.

Users Country Flag
    Maybe I'm not a driver's driver and perhaps it's best when you don't look, but my 2010 Tig with over 100K on the clock doesn't obviously exhibit any of these problems and seems to drive fine, even when pushed and through twisty bends. That said, I have the optional 18" wheels, which does firm it up somewhat.
    Last edited by arcadelt; 17-06-2017 at 11:18 AM.
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by pistoncranky View Post

Has anybody updated their rear shocks to a better quality unit and noticed any gains?

Cheers,

Chris
    (PS: Regs12, none of us are that flash!)
    I have changed mine all round to H&R coilovers and upgraded the rear sway bar to a 26mm superpro and yes it's noticeably better. I first did the swaybar which was the biggest improvement, its a 20 minute DIY and removes about 80% of the bodyroll around corners. Then I did the coilovers, now it drives like a much small car, the nose stays down under acceleration, gets a bit crashy if you hit a large pothole or go over a speed bump to fast, but other than that I prefer the way it goes over rough roads. You feel the bumps but settles much faster for a more satisfying driving experience.

However if you like the clearance and lazy comfortable ride but just want to get rid of the boat-like qualities around corners get a rear swaybar.

Thanks Lucas_R,

I'm guessing that installing those Audi bushes in the alloy shells would require a decent press to press old ones out & new ones in. Without a press I might be better off with the complete alloy shell and bush.. I do like the idea of a more solid rubber tho'.. could they be pressed out with a bench vice and a close fitting collar and metal slug and back in with the vice?

Chris

>>"Get the solid rubber caster bushes from the Audi TT and you will never have to worry about them again. Cost is about $50 delivered form the UK. Febi Bilstein Wishbone Bushing 33973

The OEM shocks are made by Sachs, so get ones on sparesbox should be correct as a OEM replacement."

Quote Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
    Maybe I'm not a driver's driver and perhaps it's best when you don't look, but my 2010 Tig with over 100K on the clock doesn't obviously exhibit any of these problems and seems to drive fine, even when pushed and through twisty bends. That said, I have the optional 18" wheels, which does firm it up somewhat.
    Thanks.. I reckon the 18" wheels and 45 or 50 aspect tyres would make a very big difference over the stock 16" / 65% on mine.

The previous owner might have been a bit of a pothole smasher and the bushes are a bit sloppier than yours even after only 50Kkm. Its interesting to watch how many drivers do drive straight through all kinds of holes etc.. I guess growing up on dirt roads and also riding motorcycles has given me increased pothole awareness and avoidance.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pistoncranky View Post
    Thanks Lucas_R,

I'm guessing that installing those Audi bushes in the alloy shells would require a decent press to press old ones out & new ones in. Without a press I might be better off with the complete alloy shell and bush.. I do like the idea of a more solid rubber tho'.. could they be pressed out with a bench vice and a close fitting collar and metal slug and back in with the vice?

Chris
    Yes i had the old bushes pressed out and new bushes pressed in by a mechanic workshop while i was having my brake disks machined. Only took them 5 mins to remove the bushes and install the new ones.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 06-03-2024 at 08:47 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast