Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Oil usage

Users Country Flag

Engine Oil usage

Hi,

I have a 2011 Tiguan 132 DSG and have to top up 1 litre of the engine oil every 3000km.

Just wondering if this is normal or should I get it checked out?

Its still under warranty.

Regards,

Users Country Flag
    by the book it can use 0.5L per 1000km. VW will do nothing about it unless you are using more than 0.5 per 1000
    VOLKSWAGEN TECHNICIAN - 16 YEARS OF PAIN..
    VCDS CODING- FAULT DIAGNOSIS - PRE PURCHASE INSPECTIONS- REPAIRS
    9W2 BT KITS -$300 - 9W7 BT KITS - $450 - CANBUS UPGRADE $150
    BRISBANE / GOLD COAST

How many km has your car done?

It's not unusual for these engines to use some oil.

I'd also check that you don't have any leaks. I had a leak on the side of the engine that was fixed under warranty, however this was more of a seepage and didn't really consume the quantities of oil you're talking about.

These engines can use a bit of oil during running in and then later in life also.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Could have sworn I posted this in another thread earlier this morning but can't find my post nor the thread I posted it in. So here goes again.

2009 TSI Manual Tig (80,000k's) has been using oil like it's going out of fashion over the last 6 mths or so. Also had exhaust warning light come on a few times. Got Jimmy to scan it and said it was fine for now, take it back to him if it comes on again....but I can't remember what he said the fault code was (it's the wife's car). Anyway, noticed this quite noticeable rough driving/hesitation/weird mis-fire thing happenning more so when the cars cold and/or at low revs. Also gave it a good run last night and noticed a **** load of smoke pumping out the exhaust when WOT. (was at night so couldn't see colour of smoke).

Any ideas? Carbon build up perhaps? It does get driven on a lot of short trips.

Quote Originally Posted by donweather View Post
    Could have sworn I posted this in another thread earlier this morning but can't find my post nor the thread I posted it in. So here goes again.

2009 TSI Manual Tig (80,000k's) has been using oil like it's going out of fashion over the last 6 mths or so. Also had exhaust warning light come on a few times. Got Jimmy to scan it and said it was fine for now, take it back to him if it comes on again....but I can't remember what he said the fault code was (it's the wife's car). Anyway, noticed this quite noticeable rough driving/hesitation/weird mis-fire thing happenning more so when the cars cold and/or at low revs. Also gave it a good run last night and noticed a **** load of smoke pumping out the exhaust when WOT. (was at night so couldn't see colour of smoke).

Any ideas? Carbon build up perhaps? It does get driven on a lot of short trips.
    It's over here: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...ml#post1117582

It certainly doesn't sound "normal" with the misfire/hesitation. I'd be getting it checked out. How much do you term "a lot" of oil? These engines do tend to drink a bit as they get older.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    It's over here: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...ml#post1117582

It certainly doesn't sound "normal" with the misfire/hesitation. I'd be getting it checked out. How much do you term "a lot" of oil? These engines do tend to drink a bit as they get older.
    That's the thread title I was looking for but couldn't find it. Also when I click on your link it comes up with an error?

It was serviced about 10,000k's ago (11 mths ago) so oil replaced then. Since then I've had to top it up 3 times now adding about 500-800 ml each time. And that's not filling it each time. Probably only half way on the dipstick each time after I filled it.
    Last edited by donweather; 04-03-2015 at 02:25 PM.

My 125TSI started consuming oil around 70,000km. I would do intermediate oil changes every 7,500km and top up around 1 litre in this time.

I've spoken to a few of the GTI boys and that's not uncommon for these motors to drink a bit of oil.

Though the hesitation and smoke is something I'd get checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    sometimes replacing the PCV valve may reduce oil consumption on these engines.

over time the valve inside may get weak and hence allowing more oil to evaporate.

i use foaming intake cleaner before every oil change now and it should help with the carbon build up reduction.

once in while, give it plenty of WOT (Happy Laps is the best way here in Brisbane ) to burn off some carbon.

my tiguan is now using 0.5L in 5,000km or so, after I started to drive it more daily in the last month when mainly driven by my wife (very extremely gently), it used no oil.
    Last edited by nat225; 08-03-2015 at 08:12 PM.

Users Country Flag
    The other thing that happens is that the glue holding the rocker cover & PCV feed labrynth together deteriorates & the oil bipasses the labrynth.

This is on engines with a few km on them and the oil usage skyrockets. If your car has been oil tight then starts consuming the labrynth might be on the way out.

PCV is more likely though.

Also, if I was topping up I'd use a 0w or 5w -40. It will be 502.00 but that's still within spec.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Just an observation i thought i would share:

Started my car up the other day to find the check oil light on! Have found the engine using just a little oil (normal amount, nothing concerning - maybe a litre in 10000k's). So i went & bought a litre & put about 1/3 of it in (350ml).

Surprised to find it sitting right on the high mark now! Only a third of a litre between full & check oil light?
    Current: MY18 TRANSPORTER CrewVan, Indium Grey
    Previous: MY10 Tiguan 2.0TSI, Silver Leaf, APR StgII tune + many mod's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast