Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Difference between the 125 and 147 petrol models?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by team_v View Post
    Same engine in the 125/147 and the Mk6 GTI

Engine code EA888
    Actually EA888 is the engine family not the engine code
    - Ben

1961 Karmann Ghia Coupé - 1993 Golf Cabriolet - 2006 Golf Comfortline 1.9L TDI
    2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by MGV View Post
    So, just out of curiosity, is the extra 22kw just from factory fuel mapping differences, or what?
    It is entirely due to the ECU map from the factory. Every physical component is the same in all the cars that use the EA888.

Hence the reason that an APR ECU map is such good value on a 125TSI ....
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by MGV View Post
    So, just out of curiosity, is the extra 22kw just from factory fuel mapping differences, or what?
    The engine can be the same but the engine bolts on and the accessories could be different. To be 100% sure you need to speak to VW or at least try to get SSP (self study) for both engines, so you can compare them better.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    It is entirely due to the ECU map from the factory. Every physical component is the same in all the cars that use the EA888.

Hence the reason that an APR ECU map is such good value on a 125TSI ....
    I know for sure that when VW engine that appears the same to 147TSI comes in VW/Audi car, has a lot of internal changes to hold the extra power when it is factory tuned to 190kW.

But yeah, you might be correct that there could be no internal changes in the engine that is in Tiguan 125TSI and 147TSI.

This should give you some idea what is the difference between the engines that have the same cubic capacity but different power output and it doesn't matter what engine family they are.

Taken from Wiki.
    notes:
    the 169 kW and higher versions have stronger pistons and gudgeon pins, new rings, reinforced connecting rods, new bearings, reinforced cylinder block at the main bearing pedestals and cap, new lightweight aluminium-silicon alloy cylinder head for high temperature resistance and strength, adjusted exhaust camshaft timing, increased cross-section high-pressure injectors, 1.2 bars (17.4 psi)(value only valid for Audi S3(8P))boost pressure K04 turbocharger with larger turbine and compression rotor (S3,Cupra,Golf Ed.30) - which some components are NOT shared with the lower output variants
    reference List of Volkswagen Group petrol engines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by Transporter; 31-01-2011 at 11:47 AM. Reason: add more text and reference link

Users Country Flag
    I have the self study guide for the EA888 from before it went into MK6 GTI (in its 147kw form) and there is no mention of Valve-lift or those "extra goodies" that the Audi engines have on it to get their standard forum of 155kw & 350Nm. So Transporter is correct in that not all EA888 engines are the same.

However, in the case of the two Tiguan versions of the EA888, everything that I can find indicates that they are physically identical and it's only the ECU tune which differentiates them. I wish I had updated self study guides or service manuals to confirm!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    I know for sure that when VW engine that appears the same to 147TSI comes in VW/Audi car, has a lot of internal changes to hold the extra power when it is factory tuned to 190kW.

But yeah, you might be correct that there could be no internal changes in the engine that is in Tiguan 125TSI and 147TSI.
    Factory 188/195/200kw 2.0 T VAG engines are not of the EA888 family and yes they have substantial internal differences.

Also, A3s now use the EA888 and they do not have valvelift and are the same as the Tigs etc.

Audi's with longitudinal engines (and valvelift) are not of the EA888 family either.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

APR warranty there 125/147 tune though dont they?
    I assume the 188/195/200 have different internals because they share the k04. If you remap these you would expect 230+ figure.
    96 A4 1.8TQ
    K03-073, SUPERTECH VALVES, PORT N POLISH, JE PISTONS, SCAT RODS, FIDANZA FW & SOUTHBEND STG 3, BILSTEIN & H&R, 2.5IN EXHAUST, APR DV

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Audi's with longitudinal engines (and valvelift) are not of the EA888 family either.
    Maverick would disagree there.
    As would the Wikipedia

Plus, it would seem really strange for Audi to completely design the EA888 themselves, and then not use it in their products than the A3.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey_R View Post
    Maverick would disagree there.
    As would the Wikipedia

Plus, it would seem really strange for Audi to completely design the EA888 themselves, and then not use it in their products than the A3.
    My bad .... yes, Audi's longitidunals are EA888 relatives. However they did not "design" the engine series .... merely redesigned the head .... Valve-lift heads are completely different, even the inlet/outlet spacings are different, hence the problem in fitting the Valvelift head K04 to a non-Valvelift head.

But back to the point .... MK6 GTI/All TSI Tiguans/147TSI Jetta/TSI EOS all have identical engines ..... every single engine part is interchangeable, even though some part numbers may vary.
    Last edited by Sharkie; 31-01-2011 at 06:36 PM.

Users Country Flag

Aah - when I say Audi designed them, I mean that Audi and Volkswagen say that Audi did, and hence their training manuals and the wikipedia etc say Audi design them I, am not mechnical at all... I'm just good at collecting and sorting information

But yes, in the essence of this thread, I agree with you, that the Tiguan 125TSI and 147TSI have completely identical engines.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast