Support VWWC

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Difference between the 125 and 147 petrol models?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by vincent View Post
    in my view the 125 Tig will not leave you feeling underpowered in the city.
    Agreed, did a 100km today criscrossing Brisbane and was happy with the power all the way. A 125 is suprisingly punchy ....

.... even went past APR as well, hoping they were open so I could get the chip done .....

but alas they were closed, as I suspected .... .... will now have to go during the week to get it done ....
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Go the 147!

grin but then again I'm biased!

I drove both... 125 was punchy... 147 was better.
    Also I liked some of the other aspects of the 147 too.

Only factory orders get the cheaper prices for install on the 147 over the 125...
    and only factory fitted SATNAV gets the reverse camera.

RCD510 is technically worth a lot more than $500 - list price is over $2000 (I'm going to sell mine now I upgraded to the RNS510).
    Last edited by DJY; 03-10-2009 at 11:30 PM.
    2009 147TSI Tiguan, Deep Black Pearl Effect, Black Leather, Sunroof, RNS510, Bluetooth, and MDI.
    Delivered 22 May 2009

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by suparockin View Post
    It's going to be a fleet car (work car) so not sure I could chip it, would it void the warrantee?
    Firstly, your dealer may never even know it's there. Excerpt from APR's site:

"All APR chip upgrades use encryption, which serve several purposes. Mainly, it keeps prying eyes out of our software and prevents lesser companies from copying the chip and degrading the product. Also, all APR software is undetectable to a dealers VAG diagnostic tool.

Also:

"EMCS is available for this car. EMCS is APR's revolutionary patented Enhanced Modular Chipping System.... Want chipped mode? Want to be able to switch back to your stock settings? ....How about a valet mode that limits power? EMCS is the lone technology on the market that can give you all of these options. No changing of the chip or ECU is required. These programs are available at the touch of a button.

APR has taken your cruise control buttons and utilized them for this function. Your cruise control will continue to function as normal, but will give you the ability to scroll through the programs you have purchased on your APR chipped ECU. The procedure is simple and involves only two steps."

The whole system is protected with a user defined pin number that you can code in yourself. So even if someone suspected that it was chipped, they would not be able to access anything without your code. But at the end of the day, my dealer sold me the remap with the car. They were fine with it. However, I hear that some dealers are different. Maybe ask around and see if you can find out what your dealer's position is.

If you decide that the remap is a good idea, then the 125 makes more sense to me, and you will keep within your budget with the other goodies you want.
    Last edited by clip; 04-10-2009 at 09:31 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DJY View Post
    I drove both... 125 was punchy... 147 was better.
    Also I liked some of the other aspects of the 147 too.

RCD510 is technically worth a lot more than $500 - list price is over $2000 (I'm going to sell mine now I upgraded to the RNS510).
    Auto 125 slightly slower than the 147, manual 125 and 147 = dead equal performance wise ......

Chip both the autos and they are dead equal @ 190kw and in all performance aspects ...... 125 manual chipped quicker than both

Do like the additionals in the 147 though ...

RCD510s are selling for between $450-$550 on Ebay atm ... so it is in effect only worth about $500 regardless of what VW charges for it .....
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

It's going to be a fleet car (work car) so not sure I could chip it, would it void the warrantee?
    Yes. Whilst many people say dealers often don't see it, or in some cases even point people in that direction... it is my understanding that it would. I didn't want problems - at least for my warranty period! I wanted a nice shiny new car that looked great, went well when I put my foot down, and had enough grunt loaded to get up hills!

I'v been toying with the idea of scratching the Sat Nav, but it's really one of the nicest features on the car - I currently have to fix an external tomtom thing and it's bloody annoying!
    I used to have a TomTom as well... painful to put it on the windscreen, and didn't look ideal. I've also had a previous car been broken into for the TomTom... as had one member in here with his beloved Tiguan.

I read up lots about the aftermarket versions... but wasn't convinced...
    and for me there were two factors to go VW.
    1. I didn't want to loose the visual rear parking sensors on the main display
    2. I didn't want any problems, wanted genuine for resale, and also one that had reliable warranty.

The software with the RNS510 is great! I've had a few sat nav's in the past... and driven various cars with factory fitted, and I think VW got it right! One of the best I've used!
    2009 147TSI Tiguan, Deep Black Pearl Effect, Black Leather, Sunroof, RNS510, Bluetooth, and MDI.
    Delivered 22 May 2009

I Picked up my 147 on Friday, its a work car also and was toying with the 125 or 147, my dealer only had a TDI for me to drive so had to go off the specs, plus i was very limited with what options i could get unless i wanted to wait 6 months.

After adding up the options i wanted and adding on the aditional options to the 125 to bring it up to spec there was only about $3000 difference.

Some of the things the 147 has like the under seat storage, better seats (sports with lumbar support) and new 2010 fabric as well as the performance increase pushed me into the seat of the 147.

with regards to the satnav, i have a tomtom 730, for me the advantages are that i dont have to pay $300 or so a year for updates which is what normal Factory OEm ones are, updates come out 4 times a year, map share etc..etc.. As well as the ability to use it in my partners car if we need.

Factory head units are targets for theives also as most people keep the security code in their glovebox, where as the tom tom is easily removed when you leave the car, i keep a microfibre cloth in the car to wipe and marks from the windscreen where its been so not to tempt said theives.

Is there any difference between 125 & 147 engines?

Hi guys, im looking at buying a tig in a few months for the misses.
    Apart from the cosmetics is the 125 and 147 the same engine? The APR aus tune is the same kw's for both engines right?
    I read the tig uses the S3 driveline (DSG) is this correct? I assume for the extra car weight.
    For an extra 22kw I cant justify the extra $7000 ish for the 147.
    Thanks.
    96 A4 1.8TQ
    K03-073, SUPERTECH VALVES, PORT N POLISH, JE PISTONS, SCAT RODS, FIDANZA FW & SOUTHBEND STG 3, BILSTEIN & H&R, 2.5IN EXHAUST, APR DV

Users Country Flag
    yes same engine, so if you're going to do the APR remap, they will come out same spec. 147 just gives you luxury extras. Good value, but only if you are looking at upspecking a 125 to similar levels - then you might as well go the 147. Otherwise the 125 with the APR remap is exceptional value for money. Where else can you get a 190kW, 400Nm SUV with all the features of stock 125 for well under $40k?

New Tigs now run 7sp DSG - first model ran standard auto.

BYW, it's not just the kW increase that you get with the remap, it's the massive increase in torque that makes it such a worthwhile upgrade IMO. It would still be highly worthwhile to do the remap with the 147 to get the torque improvement.

All this is just my opinion of course
    Last edited by clip; 30-01-2011 at 03:32 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Same engine in the 125/147 and the Mk6 GTI

Engine code EA888

So, just out of curiosity, is the extra 22kw just from factory fuel mapping differences, or what?
    Current: MY18 TRANSPORTER CrewVan, Indium Grey
    Previous: MY10 Tiguan 2.0TSI, Silver Leaf, APR StgII tune + many mod's

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast